Ultimate Subaru Message Board

best off-road lights!!**i want pics of your car w/ lights!!!**

crazy D

well i want to get a few more lights for my car('84 ea81 wag.) and i was wondering what are the best and brightest lights to get? also, im running a 3rd eye(5headlights total) so how many more can i put on it before it starts to get iffy(power wise) ...and are there still lights out there that are bright and energy efficient? WANT PICS!!!...thanks D-

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I currently have four 100 watt lights on the roof on my '80 wagon. I plan on adding several more around the vehicle. I have a 90 amp Nissan alternator to keep the battery charged. I strongly suggest you try it, or a GM alt swap. Optima yellow top deep cycle would be optimal. For me the Nissan alternator was piece of cake. I would like to try 130 watt zenon bulbs someday. I have read Lightforce 170 is real good.

The quad headlights use two 55watt highbeam's and something watt lights in the low beams (you'll notice when you go to highbeam the low beam light goes out, then another light in there comes on with a different angle.)

So lets assume your using a 45watt in your 3rd eye light, 110watt + maybe 80watt. That's 235watts, divide that by your volts to get amps, so lets say 13volts. That's 18amps. If you have no other extras (loud stereo, etc) your car should really only use a max of about 15 to 20amps with the in cabin blower fan plus the radiator fan, plus another 18 odd amps in lights. You should have a 55amp alt. So I'd say another 260watts of lights should be ok. Of cause I would suggest an alt upgrade as yours is probably tired and won't get to 55amps anyhow.

Lightforce are :headbang:

Hella's are :headbang:

IPF's are :headbang:

Anything else is either :cool: or :banana: or :rolleyes:

:-p

The quad headlights use two 55watt highbeam's and something watt lights in the low beams (you'll notice when you go to highbeam the low beam light goes out, then another light in there comes on with a different angle.)

So lets assume your using a 45watt in your 3rd eye light, 110watt + maybe 80watt. That's 235watts, divide that by your volts to get amps, so lets say 13volts. That's 18amps. If you have no other extras (loud stereo, etc) your car should really only use a max of about 15 to 20amps with the in cabin blower fan plus the radiator fan, plus another 18 odd amps in lights. You should have a 55amp alt. So I'd say another 260watts of lights should be ok. Of cause I would suggest an alt upgrade as yours is probably tired and won't get to 55amps anyhow.

Lightforce are :headbang:

Hella's are :headbang:

IPF's are :headbang:

Anything else is either :cool: or :banana: or :rolleyes:

:-p

puts a smile on my face everytime someone like you is there to help out on the board. you :headbang: ......btw my alt was rebuilt and i have a farely new battery...is there any conversions where i can just take my alt off and put a nother one on without changing mounts wiring, etc?...links would be cool too...thanks again dude.

I think if you look at GM alternators you will find they are pretty easy to fit (I have never done it myself though.) Check this link here, I think you may need to do some wiring swaps

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24227&highlight=%2AGM%2A+alternator+swap

Also I've read about Nissan Maxima alts (they are 90amps or something?)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64514&highlight=%2AGM%2A+alternator+swap

Which seemed pretty easy.

If you have aircon I don't think the conversion is easy at all.

I probally wont be going with the best but I plan on 4 rectangular wal mart lights push 100W each on the roof and possibly 2 round lights on the the bumper of similar wattages...

how much is a Ej alternator put out?

lights =

55X2=110

100X4=400

130X2=260

=770W for forward lighting=59 amps for lighting then run the car + 20 amps=79 amps +/-

cool cool...ive been looking threw some of the other threads and it looks like a lot of people prefer cheaper lights. but if you can get the spendy ones GET them...i want to try walmart lights....im to afraid to go to harbor freight:) ..i cant trust anthing from there....so tell me this....how much of a pain in the a$$ is it to hook up these lights?

Most lights will come with the wiring harness for them.. When you buy them, just look in the package, if there is a little box thing with wires going into it, and like 6 wires or so, then it should come with them..

Here is a pic before i put on my fog lights underneath the bumper, and with my old bumper lights on..

l_ff56791b20380cb6c1f14886bccfa2b4.jpg

Another vote for Lightforce lights. They're freaking awesome, but they are expensive. I run one pair of 170's on my legacy, and I can easily see well enough to cruise at 80-90 mph at night on the highway. They also have adjustable beams and you can get different colored light filters (blue is great for whiteouts). Just bought a pair of the 240s for my new truck, so I'll see how those do.