best off-road lights!!**i want pics of your car w/ lights!!!**

crazy D

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I must bow to Matty's 1.3kW display. :eek: What are the outputs of the individual lamps?

However, I have an ace up my sleeve. ;) I'm pushing 700W of forward illumination WITHOUT adding any extra lights to my Brat.... yet. :-p

Closeup Thumb:

attachment.php?attachmentid=4544&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1168024533

Now do yall understand why I did that writeup for the 100A GM Alternator? :D

Mattys ride is hot looking.

Nice modded lights BTW. 700w from the stock location sure is nice i'd bet.

So, again, anyone phyically compared the Lightforce 140 to the 170?

I will be getting one or the other soon and, failing any conclusive argument, will default to the cheaper (or should I say least expensive).

the 170s are bigger, and brighter, and shoot further. :-p

Yah, I read as much on their website, but it seems that no-one has actually tested both back-to-back and said how noticible the difference is. (I couldn't even find a proper review of the 140's on the 'net).

On LF's AU website, it suggests the 140's for winding mountain roads, and off-road situations. Sounds like it suits my needs fine. Anyone wanna disagree/concur?

Yah, I read as much on their website, but it seems that no-one has actually tested both back-to-back and said how noticible the difference is. (I couldn't even find a proper review of the 140's on the 'net).

On LF's AU website, it suggests the 140's for winding mountain roads, and off-road situations. Sounds like it suits my needs fine. Anyone wanna disagree/concur?

Judging from the difference between the 170s and the 240s, I'd say there is a significant difference. What you need depends on your application though. 140's would probably work fine if you stay under 65 and don't go out in white-outs.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else notice these Harbor Freight HID offroad lights in the latest catalog?

-edit- Hey nevermind... I didn't notice that the price is per lamp not per pair. And even if it was $120 for a pair of these china made lights, a check of ebay shows that real Hella 3000 & 4000s have come down a lot and are now almost affordable. I suppose by the time HIDs are really cheap, LED lights will be the rage.

FINALLY got some pics of Sophia with the Lightforce 240s on my last "commute". Judging from my experiences driving between 75 and 85 in marginal weather, I'd say that in any kind of decent weather, they're good for up to 100 mph before you'd be "outrunning" them.

with clear covers:

sb07_002.jpg

With blue covers:

sb07_026.jpg

Right, but where I live I need extra light on the highways, too. When I lived in the city (Calgary), I almost never used my high beams, but back in the sticks here I need high beams and more all the time. And I've been offroad several times when more light would've been a blessing. Some of the access roads around here (basically, logging roads) are good enough to do a fairly brisk speed - but not at night without a little help from better lighting. Of course, the actual 4X part of the driving I usually do when it's daylight. Unless I'm stuck :grin:

scooby, where'd run the power for your light forces? on my impreza i ran wires down the inside trim of the windshield.. but those lights used quite a bit smaller wire...

i was thinking maybe run it back through the trunk gasket?

I went for stealth factor...It looks so clean too...

I ran them through the A-pillar ..then up through the roof via the Roof rail and then out the side of the rail with weatherpack connectors..Don't forget to silicone the holes and also rubber grommets for chaff resistance...

Here's a link to what I did...

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4323&highlight=overhead

I went for stealth factor...It looks so clean too...

I ran them through the A-pillar ..then up through the roof via the Roof rail and then out the side of the rail with weatherpack connectors..Don't forget to silicone the holes and also rubber grommets for chaff resistance...

Here's a link to what I did...

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4323&highlight=overhead

scooby, i'm currently throwing my light forces on top of the OBXT... trying to keep it looking clean, i like your method, i may have to go with your method of running the wires ;)

You get alot of wind noiuse out of those?

nipper

actually.. no :grin:

sounds exactly the same as it does w/ the bar there.. kinda' wierd

it's still really quiet with the sunroof shade shut too. ;) with it open.. that's a different story.. :-p