Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dual battery setups

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,967 posts
  • NH

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:28 AM

I'm seting up dual batterys to run my winch. For isolation, i'm using a starter soleniod from a ford ranger. I'm wondering if the soleniods windings will be up to continuous duty. I'd like to tie it to the ignition so that it would charge when the engine was running, but I'm not sure if it would cook the windings. It pulls 3.5A to keep it closed.

#2 Reveeen

Reveeen

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Eastern Canada

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:55 AM

A standard solenoid will cook in short order, you want a continuous duty solenoid, if your auto parts store doesn't have one they can order you one. Make it switchable, and use a diode (from a RV dealer) to handle the charging.

#3 Jibs

Jibs

Wonder Triplets Activate

• Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • Reno

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:30 AM

I got lots of good information in this thread:

http://www.ultimates...ht=dual battery

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,753 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:01 PM

I would use a dual battery isolator, This allows for curretn to be pulled from one battery, and cgarges both while running. It wont pull current from the main battery.

nipper

#5 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,967 posts
  • NH

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:50 PM

I'll get a better solenoid soon. Money is kinda tight, so I'll leave this solenoid in so that I can jump start the car off it's self and use the winch. Charging will have to be done from a wall outlet for now.

Isolators=money, which I don't have. <20 is all I can afford.

The battery tray I made is probably stronger than the body it's bolting too. I'm fiting the battery in where the turbo would go on turbo subarus. It interferes with an A/C line, a brake line, the power steering hoses, and one of the PCV nipples on the air duct. Everything except the PCV nipple can be (and has been) bent out of the way.

#6 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,753 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:04 PM

I'll get a better solenoid soon. Money is kinda tight, so I'll leave this solenoid in so that I can jump start the car off it's self and use the winch. Charging will have to be done from a wall outlet for now.

Isolators=money, which I don't have. <20 is all I can afford.

The battery tray I made is probably stronger than the body it's bolting too. I'm fiting the battery in where the turbo would go on turbo subarus. It interferes with an A/C line, a brake line, the power steering hoses, and one of the PCV nipples on the air duct. Everything except the PCV nipple can be (and has been) bent out of the way.

http://www.jcwhitney...0010098/c-10107

21.00 plus shipping

70 amps should be fine for what your using the battery for.

nipper

#7 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,158 posts
  • WA

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for that link. I think I'm going for the 120amp one.

#8 Reveeen

Reveeen

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Eastern Canada

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:40 PM

Some local snow plow types run dual alternators to keep the second battery completely isolated from their vehicle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users