Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Metal in the oil....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Frank B

Frank B

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,226 posts
  • VA

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:49 PM

Last year I bough a couple dozen rare earth magnets off of Ebay. They were 1"x.25"x.50". looks like little bars. Anyway, I put one or two on every vehicles oil filter I've had since then(8), even my riding mower. I put one in the tranny pan of my Lumina too. The idea of putting it on your filter, instead of having a magnetic drain plug, is to keep it out of the engine and when you trow the filter away, you get rid of the metal bits. Well I never really noticed anything untill the other day when I changed the oil in my Hatch. I drained the filter into the drain pan after removing the magnets and transfering them to the new filter, and it looked like I was panning for gold! Silver and yellow metal in it! It looked like metal flake paint instead of oil! I wish I had gotten a pic of it. Anyway, it was well worth the $20 or so I paid for the magnets. But it really doesn't boost my confidence in this engine:-\ . I think I'll hold of on the weber and EA82 manifold swap untill I get a good engine to put in there.

#2 Prospeeder

Prospeeder

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:59 PM

probably normal engine wear over the years you suddenly magnitized, i wouldnt be THAT worried. how many miles are on this thing?

#3 Frank B

Frank B

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,226 posts
  • VA

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:07 PM

probably normal engine wear over the years you suddenly magnitized, i wouldnt be THAT worried. how many miles are on this thing?

219,850 miles. That was my original thought, but the way it uses oil and ticks and rattles, I'll replace it within the next few months anyway. I've been tempted to do a compression test on it, but I don't want to know! If it's bad, that's all I'll think about every time I drive it. Like I do know about the metal in the oil! I'll take a good look at the filter the next time I change it, which won't be too long since I drive near 500 miles a week in it.

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,588 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:53 PM

Only good way to tell is by an oil anylsis. As long as those chunks arent big and dont look like a gear or a connecting rod don't worry about it.

nipper

#5 Frank B

Frank B

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,226 posts
  • VA

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:32 PM

No chunks, just fine dust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users