Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Metal in the oil....

Last year I bough a couple dozen rare earth magnets off of Ebay. They were 1"x.25"x.50". looks like little bars. Anyway, I put one or two on every vehicles oil filter I've had since then(8), even my riding mower. I put one in the tranny pan of my Lumina too. The idea of putting it on your filter, instead of having a magnetic drain plug, is to keep it out of the engine and when you trow the filter away, you get rid of the metal bits. Well I never really noticed anything untill the other day when I changed the oil in my Hatch. I drained the filter into the drain pan after removing the magnets and transfering them to the new filter, and it looked like I was panning for gold! Silver and yellow metal in it! It looked like metal flake paint instead of oil! I wish I had gotten a pic of it. Anyway, it was well worth the $20 or so I paid for the magnets. But it really doesn't boost my confidence in this engine:-\ . I think I'll hold of on the weber and EA82 manifold swap untill I get a good engine to put in there.

probably normal engine wear over the years you suddenly magnitized, i wouldnt be THAT worried. how many miles are on this thing?

219,850 miles. That was my original thought, but the way it uses oil and ticks and rattles, I'll replace it within the next few months anyway. I've been tempted to do a compression test on it, but I don't want to know! If it's bad, that's all I'll think about every time I drive it. Like I do know about the metal in the oil! I'll take a good look at the filter the next time I change it, which won't be too long since I drive near 500 miles a week in it.