Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71s are fast!

I got up to 90mph indicated the other day and she had plenty left in her! :banana:Wow! Who would have thought that out of the 9 cars I've owned, the one with the lowest HP rating would be the 2nd or 3rd fastest in acceleration?:banana: My 83 GL could never have done that, the Loyale could do 100 but it took a while.:banana:

I have driven:

2006 BMW Z4, 530i, 325xi, many other BMWs

V8 Caprice

98 Honda Prelude

2003 WRX wagon

and a few other fast cars

So yeah, compared to most modern cars (most of which are merely fancy plastic toys) of course the Brat is slow, but I was impressed that something with 60hp could fly like that.

Gen1's also barely weigh over a ton, so 60-70hp can do a lot more.

You may have been able to hit 90mph, but I'd be willing to bet that getting up to 100 would take a lot more effort than you might think. Wind resistance is exponential.

My Legacy, which is a heavier car with AWD but has over double the horsepower and is more aerodynamic, will do 112mph and no more.

man you need to drive a honda or something. subarus just aren`t fast. they are fun, and they can get rolling to 90, but they are not fast;) :Flame:

take that back. my 79 brat smoked the tires through 3rd gear no problem. and got up to 95 quicker then a honda civic. basically my 1979 brat dominated.

and im sure you havent seen the Subaru WRX STI 600TT... cause if you had then you wouldnt have said what you did. that subaru goes 200+ mph. so subarus arnt fast, not at all;)

(the 600TT goes 200+ mph and its a flat 4 and still looks street worthy, the civic got up to 200 mph on salt flats but looked dumb as hell)

SUBARU 4 EVER:headbang:

okay we were talkin about old ru's but you sais if you wanna feel fast drive a honda. well the old hondas are slower then slugs so you must have meant the new hondas so i brought up the new subarus. and no the old civic would only do 200 mph with 1 driver thats it and aerodynamic mods up the yang.

honda -1

subaru +1

your on crack......

that honda civic must have been a 4wd wagovan with 4 people in the car and a load of groceries.

plus, i thought we were talking old gens? not $50k wrx 600hp's

This is basically on-topic, so I'll continue.

You can talk s**t about Hondas all you want, but even Civics are still way faster than our cars. Sorry to break it to you. I've gotten my rump roast handed to me bad by Civics in both my Legacy and XT, and they're both faster than any stock Gen1.

Of course, I pulled away from the line faster because I have torque, especially in EA engines, with single-cam, two-valve design with torque peaks below 3000rpm (that's why you're able to spin tires so easily). But once you get up to speed, the Honda will find its horsepower, which isn't much but is still a lot more than you have, and will fly past you.

I love Subarus, and despise Hondas, but I know better than to flatly deny the obvious just to save face.

These cars are slow, and that's all there is to it. I personally don't care, because there's more to automotive enthusiasm than speed. But if all you care about is speed, you're in the wrong car.

do some research. Subaru is killing the competition. reaching speeds of 200 mph is quite a feat for a all-wheel drive car. 1990's hondas are fast, i wouldnt ever buy one. if anyone here owns a honda 'good for you'. and i dont mean any offense. ive put months of research into subaru and their up commings, and my findings leave me to believe that subaru is all around better than honda. Ex: new hondas are big and stupid looking not to mention half eletric (to me) and new subarus are a better looking and faster car, every year they find a way to squeese more horses outta that amazing flat four and yet honda finds a way to dump more eletric motors into the bulky body....

my favorite honda would be a 1993 civic ex

my favorite subaru is the 2004 wrx sti 600tt

(hey GD i just about got into the Army national guard, i gotta pass the ASVAB and im in. my mechanic score is 122 outta 140 :] most score 50-60)

having owned several of each, (two integras, and two civics) and 2 brats, three legacies, i can tell you that a honda without vtec feels like riding my 90 wagon on three cyls, actually in my wagon with a bad plug i out ran a honda non vtec. now as far as vtec, dohc vtec is the only way to go, i could out run my buddies 13 sec wrx from a role but he owned me off the line

and owning both i feel more safe and secure in a subioe any day of the week, I'd honestly rather take a hit in a rotted out brat that an early 90's civic

Now what are we comparing A 1979 GL Brat against a 1979 Honda CVCC or a 1979 GL Brat against the 2007 Acura NSX ???

theres the one i was lookin for. thank you!

ive done work on the old hondas... the yzf 450 is faster then them. especially the 1979 hondas

but hey hondas are cool to, everyone has their own favorite vehicles.

my favorite truck is the Humvee

so not all my choices are subaru.

my point. people saying subarus arnt fast is a slap in the face to me. Ex. i Eat Breath live subaru, so hearin that is like tellin tellin you, you cant shoot, even though your a sniper.. get it?

buying and selling as many cars as i have, its tough to be that brand loyal.

i love subarus, and i keep buying them, but from what i`ve seen, hondas are great cars as well. better fuel milage, higher miles not a problem, comfort, smoothness, acceleration etc.....

anyway, subarus are my favorite as well, and i love the great community that comes with them.

my point. people saying subarus arnt fast is a slap in the face to me. Ex. i Eat Breath live subaru, so hearin that is like tellin tellin you, you cant shoot, even though your a sniper.. get it?

Agreed, I've fought with this kind of mind set for years now, present company excluded, nobody really knows much about these cars in general. One redneck here once asked me what the hell I did to my elcamino when i had my white brat.

And I'm currently involved in an arguement on another chat board with a bunch of neon owners laughing at the possiblity of a fast old subaru