Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm sitting here, looking at the ol' EJ22 Beetle...

Nug

and I want to try something, but I'm not motivated enough to do anything to it right now.

Basically, I'd like to make it more VW looking. That is, I'd like to remove the intake and injectors and everything associated with fuel injection, and hang a set of Weber 48 IDA's onto the engine. Yes, the manifolds don't exist (yet). Yes, those carbs are incredibly expensive, and tuning dual carbs is a neverending chore. Yes, driveability will probably suffer to some degree. But I bet it'll make a ton of power and look good as hell. Besides, the displacement of the 2.2 and the rpm capability makes the 48 IDA not too unrealistic a choice.

Google it if you have no clue what I am talking about.

51691565_c0bb8b90ce.jpg?v=0

fwiw my friend who ran dual 44 DCOE's on his L20 510 wagon got 14mpg.

just go 44's or 45's, 48's are much more $$$ and might be a little overcarbed for as mild an engine as an ej22(tiny cams, heads arent that great, low-ish compression).

or just do some ITB's out of literbike throttlebodies. you'd have the high-tech vw thing going. it might be doable with the ej22e ecu, TPS is fine but what to do about the MAF.

you could also get a busted 911 cooling fan setup for cheap and set it on there to confuse people.:lol:

that was my exact idea for the baja project i have.i say do it if you are going to keep it. making manifolds is not that hard.some pipe and plate is all it takes.:headbang:

and so far the numbers i have run show that the 48's would be an awesome choice with a little polishing here and there.