Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rear disc brakes for a Gen-1?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SakoTGrimes

SakoTGrimes

Aint got no Subaru!

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:06 AM

It's not like I need extra stopping power or anything, but I had new brake drums priced today, and I guess they're getting rare, $135 each. Gen-1 and 3 cars can be swapped to rear disc with parts from a turbo car, can a Gen-1 accept parts from a turbo car, or combination of N/A Gen-1/2 and turbo parts?

Having 4 wheel discs would be sweeeet and look cool too

#2 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,754 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:31 AM

There is a fair amount of grinding necessary on the caliper mounting bracket IIRC. A friend of mine attempted installing a set on his 1980 BRAT, but gave up before finishing. Thats not to say that it can't or hasn't been done (It has). Now that we have the 75 wagon, I might give it a try. Does anyone know the diameter of the brake master cylinder for a 75 4wd wagon?

#3 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  • Walden

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:16 AM

look up zefy's gen 1 rear disc write up. he did it fairly easilly and liked the results.

#4 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  • Walden

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:17 AM

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=53479

#5 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:36 PM

I happened to stop by the day he and Jim were doing that. It was dark out by that point, and the air was fairly blue. It was WAY more work than they thought it would be at the outset, but they got it done and it worked fine!

#6 Subieguy

Subieguy

Subaru on the brain!

• Members
  • 901 posts
  • Paso Robles, California

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:21 PM

I did it on my 78 Brat. Quite a bit of grinding on the backing plate and I had to grind a pretty serious notch into the trailing arm itself. That was to clear one of the caliper bolts. The three bolts on the backing plate line right up when you have enough ground away. I am really happy with how it turned out and how it looks. Looks cool having 4 wheel discs on a gen 1 Brat:headbang: . The thing I still need to do is get longer brake lines to go to the calipers. The originals are a little short for the disc setup so the don't run in the same location as original. They are just kind of free and floating around back there. Would be a problem if I actually drove it very much. I will get around to taking care of that one of these days.

#7 kiwi subbie

kiwi subbie

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 932 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:10 AM

i though about doin that on my 1400 if it would work

#8 ThreeEyedBandit

ThreeEyedBandit

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Central Point Or

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:24 AM

On my old 79 wagon, i just re-clocked the backing plate by drilling three new holes in it. So that everything would clear the trailing arm.

Matt

#9 maudsland

maudsland

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Newbridge near Bendigo Au

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:41 PM

Back in 1980 when i was picking up one of my FF1's i came across a fellow who had a factory subaru GSR rally car from 1974, while i was drooling over it i noticed that it had disc brakes on the back of it, that was the first and only time i had ever come across it, also i saw some intersting bits that he had in his shed
Thierry

#10 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,254 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:50 PM

Back in 1980 when i was picking up one of my FF1's i came across a fellow who had a factory subaru GSR rally car from 1974, while i was drooling over it i noticed that it had disc brakes on the back of it, that was the first and only time i had ever come across it, also i saw some intersting bits that he had in his shed
Thierry

more!!!! we want more information!!!!:headbang: Find him,rope and tie him,whatever it takes....:grin:

#11 maudsland

maudsland

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:11 PM

if you do a search somehow and find rallying in australia early 70's any pictures you see is most probably of that car, they were a factory team but left the cars behind, i haven't crossed path with that guy for over 20yrs

#12 maudsland

maudsland

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:28 PM

If you can get a hold of a book " Subaru the innovator downunder" there is a picture of the car there, i am still trying to find a link at the moment

#13 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,254 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:24 AM

thanks,but it's not something I'm about to do right now.;)

#14 Zefy

Zefy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • Coquitlam B.C. Canada

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:53 AM

ya i've done the rear disc conversion... harder then i thought, but not impossibly difficult... i would recommend bending the end of the trailing arm vs. grinding it down... help keep more material there making it a little stronger...:)

it looks really sweet since you're front and rear rotors are actually the same size...:-p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users