Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear disc brakes for a Gen-1?

It's not like I need extra stopping power or anything, but I had new brake drums priced today, and I guess they're getting rare, $135 each. Gen-1 and 3 cars can be swapped to rear disc with parts from a turbo car, can a Gen-1 accept parts from a turbo car, or combination of N/A Gen-1/2 and turbo parts?

Having 4 wheel discs would be sweeeet and look cool too

There is a fair amount of grinding necessary on the caliper mounting bracket IIRC. A friend of mine attempted installing a set on his 1980 BRAT, but gave up before finishing. Thats not to say that it can't or hasn't been done (It has). Now that we have the 75 wagon, I might give it a try. Does anyone know the diameter of the brake master cylinder for a 75 4wd wagon?

I did it on my 78 Brat. Quite a bit of grinding on the backing plate and I had to grind a pretty serious notch into the trailing arm itself. That was to clear one of the caliper bolts. The three bolts on the backing plate line right up when you have enough ground away. I am really happy with how it turned out and how it looks. Looks cool having 4 wheel discs on a gen 1 Brat:headbang: . The thing I still need to do is get longer brake lines to go to the calipers. The originals are a little short for the disc setup so the don't run in the same location as original. They are just kind of free and floating around back there. Would be a problem if I actually drove it very much. I will get around to taking care of that one of these days.

Back in 1980 when i was picking up one of my FF1's i came across a fellow who had a factory subaru GSR rally car from 1974, while i was drooling over it i noticed that it had disc brakes on the back of it, that was the first and only time i had ever come across it, also i saw some intersting bits that he had in his shed

Thierry

Back in 1980 when i was picking up one of my FF1's i came across a fellow who had a factory subaru GSR rally car from 1974, while i was drooling over it i noticed that it had disc brakes on the back of it, that was the first and only time i had ever come across it, also i saw some intersting bits that he had in his shed

Thierry

more!!!! we want more information!!!!:headbang: Find him,rope and tie him,whatever it takes....:grin:

ya i've done the rear disc conversion... harder then i thought, but not impossibly difficult... i would recommend bending the end of the trailing arm vs. grinding it down... help keep more material there making it a little stronger...

:)

it looks really sweet since you're front and rear rotors are actually the same size...:-p