Ultimate Subaru Message Board

400K.jpg

1996 Legacy Wagon

I just reached that milestone yesterday. That is 16 times around the Earth. I don't even service it that much. Fuel pump gave up the other day. Other than that, no major repairs needed. How long do you think it has? I'm thinking 600k. If it does give out, I'm getting the same exact car.

400K.jpg

1996 Legacy Wagon

I just reached that milestone yesterday. That is 16 times around the Earth. I don't even service it that much. Fuel pump gave up the other day. Other than that, no major repairs needed. How long do you think it has? I'm thinking 600k. If it does give out, I'm getting the same exact car.

OK, let's review: '96 Subaru EJ-22.

Arguably the best engine that Subaru has ever made.

Considered one of the best balanced engines anyone has ever made.

Non-Interference engine makes for even more reliability.

The chasis of the car is designed to keep up with the reliability of the engine.

You state that no major repairs are needed. Does that mean it is in top condition? or that only minor repairs are needed?

Myself, I would reward the engine with new idlers, waterpump, thermostat, and seals when you replace the timing belt. do not forget the oil pump either (tightening the backing plate screws). I suspect that perhaps a letter to SOA might be in order: "Gentlemen, if you continue making cars like this, you may want to consider adding a digit to the odometer. . "

Great job. Great car. Enjoy it for many many years.

400,000 is impressive, no doubt! 16 times around the earth, that's impressive too! But just for fun (or not) think about how much gas $$$$ that is?!?! If you assume $2.00/gallon average, 27 miles/gallon....well, that's darn near $30,000!!!

-V5

What would be impressive is if he even got 27mpg with a 400k Subaru.;)

WOW, putting me to shame....91 legacy is almost to 275Kmiles, my wifes DD, told her it needs to hit 300K as a matter of principle before we think about getting her something to get her back and forth to her clients. I agree the 2.2L is one of the best engines i've ever dealt with.