Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Heater & Shift Lock

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 subiefan

subiefan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 01:48 PM

'93 Impreza, 200k miles, auto

The other night, I pulled over to try to get the heater working. After a few unsuccessful thumps on the firewall, I got back into the car. Ugh oh. Shifter wouldn't move out of park. Had to walk half a mile to borrow a screwdriver and override the thing. It warmed up yesterday to near freezing. What da' ya' know. Shift lock works! Is that typical of a failing solenoid. And if so, where is it? Chiltons manual has nothing on it.

On the heater...Either there's a loose connection down there, or the blower itself is failing. I remember reading somewhere that the connections working themselves loose is a fairly common problem. Is this correct?

Either the cold weather is slowly killing the car, or it knows that my tax return has come in... I'd appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Checked out the Similar Threads - Horn fuse controls 4EAT Shift lock. Now I remember that the HORN DID NOT WORK when the shift lock was stuck. The fuse wasn't blown. The problem simply fixed itself. :-\

#2 weddes05

weddes05

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • near allentown pa

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:35 AM

Check the shift lock box. I beleive on my old 93 it was on the left side of the radio when you pull the bezel. Little black box that says shift lock actuator.

#3 dj3stripes

dj3stripes

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Omaha

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:03 AM

as far as the heater goes, does the fan still work? i had a car once where the blower motor went out, was all of like, 30bux to replace, an easy fix.........

#4 subiefan

subiefan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:10 AM

Hmmm....The shift lock is actually working now. If it goes again, I'll just replace the solenoid.

Actually, that's the problem. The blower does still work. When it wants to. It kicked off and on about five times on my way home this morning. Pretty irritating. I'm afraid it's an electrical gremlin somewhere, but I hope not. As soon as it warms up today I'm tearing it apart to find out.

#5 dj3stripes

dj3stripes

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Omaha

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:56 AM

this may be unrelated, but when i had my corsica and the blower was going bad, if i tapped it while the engine was running it'd kick in again, eventually tapping turned to pounding, and over time it wore out. for me it was the blower, not a loose connection so give it a few taps , see if it makes it kick on if so you've found your problem.

#6 coldfusion21

coldfusion21

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:58 AM

Im gonna bump this.

90 legacy wagon, auto.

Blower will stop working, along with the horn and shift lock. Every time one stops working they all stop working.

I didnt think the shift lock was related and pulled the blower motor out and cleaned it and replaced, all was well for a month or so. Now its been 3-5 days of mostly not working and i discovered the horn is not working either.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any ideas.

#7 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,670 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:05 AM

Im gonna bump this.

90 legacy wagon, auto.

Blower will stop working, along with the horn and shift lock. Every time one stops working they all stop working.

I didnt think the shift lock was related and pulled the blower motor out and cleaned it and replaced, all was well for a month or so. Now its been 3-5 days of mostly not working and i discovered the horn is not working either.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any ideas.

Is it possible that all three items are on the same circuit? Fuse problem? Maybe they all are wired through a relay? Relay bad?

#8 bstone

bstone

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 804 posts
  • Falls Village, CT

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:31 PM

Time to check fuses and relays.

#9 coldfusion21

coldfusion21

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:35 PM

I will be checking both of those asap but if it's a fuse wouldn't it just work or not work?

The relays could be an issue for sure. Any suggestions where to start? I'm not familiar with all the relays and locations.

Thanks guys. This legacy has 285k and counting thanks to US.

#10 oldvintageguy

oldvintageguy

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • West Coast

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:22 PM

Bump

Edited by oldvintageguy, 22 December 2011 - 10:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users