Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 oil pump

You have to pull the timing belts and covers to do it. While your at it, it is best to replace the water pump and timing bellts if you can afford it. Also, you must use a new "Mickey Mouse" seal for the oil pump. They call it that because of how it looks. It's just the seal from it to the block.

Keith

1 hour! with the engine in the car? You removed the fan, front pulley, outside timing covers, timing belts, cam sprockets, and inner timing cover, removed the pump, installed the new one and put all that stuff back together in an hour!

Can I come hang out with you and leech some of your skills??

Also, please explain the theory behind the HP gain. I don't buy it, unless your old pump had an incredible amount of rotating resistance.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just noticed your talking about an ea81. Still don't buy the HP increase, though.

i have my engine assembled without the plastic belt covers. i can do timing belts by ONLY removing the alt/ps belt

the oil pump can be gotten from the front of the car, ither underneath or under the hood.

with my set-up, it will only take 5-10 minutes, plus another 5or 10 minutes to reinstall the belts

but if the same belts are used, i can have them off and back on without messing wioth the tensioner pulleys. i will inbolt the cam sprocket to get the belt off, and either put it back on that way, or put the sprocket back on, and slip the belt over it

i personally prefer to leave the belt covers off, for ease of service. have not had any issues with running cover-less, either being on a road trip, daily driving, or baja'n(i do leave the piece of plastic behind the t-belt idler pulley on the bottom right)

this will save you some time and hassle takin all that stuff apart.. When you take off hte Crankshaft belt pulley, stick the 22 mm on there witha long breaker bar and prop it against the drivers side of the body panel (next to the battery, make sure it wont smash the battery though) After you have the breakerbar secure, bump your starter just a lil bit.... boom, bolt and pulley should pop right off.

Your oil pump may not be needed to be replaced.. EA82's have big problems with the O rings going bad and it makes them pump a lil bit of air into the system which gives the car a ticking sound...

Whats your Oil press. running?