Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Welded Rear end on a Daily driver?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,985 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:23 PM

wrong, i have a lsd in my xt-6 ft4wd 5mt and i noticed a huge differance the torque split on the ft manuel trannies is floating i have no trouble lighting the rear end up from a STOP in snow while the front doesn't spin, the centerdiff is a true open diff on xt's at least

yep, but you're going in a straight line I assume...that really doesn't work the diffs very hard.

I've felt a huge difference with my rear LSD as long as the center is locked. but with it unlocked and when cornering and accelerating hard (when you'd really work the LSD), I just spin one front wheel.

#27 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:00 PM

Driving with a welded diff on dry pavement is not that big of deal once you get used to it.

A welded diff could be a bit of a problem cornering on snow.

An LSD would probably be the best answer for mostly road and some deep snow driving.
I have never been able to find an LSD. They don't exist in JY's around here.
The ones I have seen on the board here are more than I wanted to spend.

I welded my diff and now, I use it on off-road only.
I have it easier than most, but I can remove/install an axle in less than a minute. (whack, whack, pull, pull, Done! 32 seconds):banana:

#28 testy

testy

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • Port Moody, BC(Vancouver)

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:30 AM

Im newb here.

So If you weld your rear diff on say a loyale with pushbutton 4wd, and you currently in front wheel drive mode, your rear tires will still spin at the same rate but they wont be powered?

#29 RavenTBK

RavenTBK

Professional Auto Thief

• Members
  • 661 posts
  • Apalachicola Natl Forest

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:07 PM

Im newb here.

So If you weld your rear diff on say a loyale with pushbutton 4wd, and you currently in front wheel drive mode, your rear tires will still spin at the same rate but they wont be powered?

Correct. Both rear tires will be locked together (left+right), but not be receiving power from the tranny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users