Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sad story Good ending (dual Carbs)

Hey guys althou I'm not one who post often on the board I'm not a newbie here at all.

to those who don't know me (most of you) my name is Roi and I'm from Israel.

I own a very sweet 94 DL BRAT 90k on the clock

I bought the subie about 19 month ago and since then I only changed the stock rim,BUT every month I put a few $ aside just for future upgrading.

my curent story begins about a month ago when a lawned the subie to a friend (after countless naging), now comes the sad part of the story:

it was about 12:00, I was at work when I heard the phone ring:

"hey mate I think something is wrong with your car" (heart stopps for a sec.) "there is some smoke comming out of it".

long story short the engine was so fried the block cranked and all the engine bay was full of oil (or so i heard - I was to afried to look at it).

o.k after a few drinks to num the pain (and a few beatting to the ex-friend) i decided to move on and look for the purfect engine!

a note: Israel was the second largest subie market in the 80s (evry 5th car in Israel is a subie) so part are plantyfull BUT!! only 1% of those cars were 4wd! (we have so many brats in Israel but they are all 2wd-ea71).

I knew I have an hard task on hands but after a while I heard of a dude who has ea81s and when I went to is shop there it laied: A JDM ea81 dual carbs,after a few happy tears the guy comes to me and says "oh and I'll add an extra dual manifold with the two carbs on it!!!!!"

so now the subie is in the shop and hopfully I'll take it to a test drive on sunday (pics and updates will be added soon)

Originally posted by TROGDOR!

Hmmmm... anyone ever try to import a car from Israel? I'd love a 94 Brat. Of course it can be made into 4WD.

We all need to get together, pool all of our money, and rent out a (super)freighter. Then hold a communal wrenchin' party :brow:

Originally posted by Meeky Moose

hell, i wonder what it would cost to ship a complete dual carb ea81 to the states?? i could go for one of those..

I recently sent this to http://www.asapmotors.com:

I am looking for a JDM *dual-carburetor* ea-81 engine for my 1983 Subaru GL 4WD Wagon. Please let me know if you have or can get the *dual carb* ea-81 or at least the heads and the cam.

Here's their response:

We have a nice engine in stock. It is a low mileage engine that has leak down tested, inspected internally, cleaned, palletized & is ready for shipping. The cost of the engine is 1,195.00 If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank You

John

888-221-1440 ext 226

http://www.asapmotors.com

Whomever calls first can have it. I found a dual-carb long block and will be using a Joe Souza intake, a Weber DGES and a custom y-pipe.

IsraBrat, If I read this correctly, You will now have 1 complete dual carb engine, and one dual carb manifold with the carbs, Right? If so, would you be interested in selling the extra manifold? I have one already but am asking on behalf of others who may be looking. Thanks, Boz