Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Seafoam=fixed gas gauge

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Zebisko

Zebisko

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Merrillville

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:24 PM

I put some seafoam in with this tank of gas, and while driving to the parts store, I notice my gas needle rising! Seafoam gets a +1.:grin:

#2 kingbobdole

kingbobdole

Mr. XT-6

• Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • Longmont

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:32 PM

WARNING!!Results not typical

I have no idea how seafoam could possibly do that.. I kinda thought that the sender unit was sealed to some extent and did not get fuel inside of the electronic parts.:-\

#3 Zebisko

Zebisko

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Merrillville

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:43 PM

I'm just assuming the float was stuck, or something.

#4 desertsubaru

desertsubaru

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 570 posts
  • Gassaway WV

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:11 PM

I'm just assuming the float was stuck, or something.

Thats what I would think. Your float was gummend up and the seafoam un gunked it. If I was you after you run this tank of fuel i would change fuel filters.

#5 hatchsub

hatchsub

Currently Subaru-less :(

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:17 PM

Yea i second that. If there was enough junk in your tank to gum up your sending unit and you used seafoam now that junk is in your filters. Change em out at somepoint soon.

#6 quazar

quazar

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:26 PM

seafoam is awesome. i use it in all my older vw's and my subaru GL. :)

#7 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,504 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:07 PM

OK how to be scared in one easy lesson :)

The fuel sender is NOT a sealed unit. It is basically a rheostat with with a float attached to the wiper arm.. Over the years the sender can get a film on it. Also if there is too much sulfur in the fuel (a rare but common way to fill a fuel gauge) it will foul the circuit. The seafoam cleaned the rheostat.

Oh and dont worry, the car wont blow up. The tank is sealed and without oxygen the gas wont blow up.

nipper

#8 Zebisko

Zebisko

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Merrillville

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:01 PM

Yeah, my car was stored for about a year before I bought it, so I was planning on doing fuel filters anyway. Thanks, though, I sometimes neglect to realize to do such simple things as that. Purolator is a good brand, right?

#9 Frank B

Frank B

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,226 posts
  • VA

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:15 PM

OK how to be scared in one easy lesson :)

The fuel sender is NOT a sealed unit. It is basically a rheostat with with a float attached to the wiper arm.. Over the years the sender can get a film on it. Also if there is too much sulfur in the fuel (a rare but common way to fill a fuel gauge) it will foul the circuit. The seafoam cleaned the rheostat.

Oh and dont worry, the car wont blow up. The tank is sealed and without oxygen the gas wont blow up.

nipper

Chevron Techron counteracts the effects of sulfer on sending units too. It didn't "fix" my chevy's faulty unit, but it did change it's behavior a bit. Maybe I need another treatment??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users