Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

cleaning an old engine?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rridenour

rridenour

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Knoxville Area

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:35 PM

I have heard that cleaning the engine internals of carbon deposits can be accomplished with kerosene in engine and ATF down the carb throat. let it run to operating temp for awhile and then replace the oil and filter. This makes me wonder would it have any affect on the seals of this 20 year old engine. Or can someone suggest a better way to clean the engine internals.

#2 scrap487

scrap487

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 988 posts
  • Government Camp

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:59 PM

um 20yr old seals are probably shot anyways... not sure where you heard atf down carb throat, I think that would cause problems. What I do sometimes is run ATF or a quart of kerosene or so in with the old oil and filter between every other oilchange or so. Just let it sit and idle for 5-10 minutes or so and then drain the oil out immediately.

Although, even with an engine completely dissassembled, its next to impossible for me to completely remove all the old varnish and isht short of grinding everything off. (1981 ea81 w/ 167k miles)

#3 hooziewhatsit

hooziewhatsit

I fix old cars

• Members
  • 1,333 posts
  • Klamath Falls

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:05 PM

I've heard of the kerosene/ATF in the crankcase ran for a while, then oil/filter changed.

as for cleaning the top end, Seafoam is usually recommended for that. Some searches should yield more than you ever wanted to know about it :lol:

-Dave

#4 SakoTGrimes

SakoTGrimes

Aint got no Subaru!

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:42 AM

You know, they have engine cleaning fluids at auto parts stores. Oil changey places will also do an engine flush for about $70.

#5 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,661 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:04 AM

Believe it or Not, you can Clean the Carbon Deposits that make some of the Weberized EA81`s and EA82`s to Dieselin` after Shut Off, by Just lettin` get down the Carb, at Normal Operatin` engine Temps, a litter of Pure Water -the one you`ll Drink- in this Procedure:

When engine is at normal Operatin` temps, remove Air Filter Box, and rev it to around 2,000 RPM`s, then drop Slowly a ounce of Water Right to the Carb, the Speed will down as the exhaust Emmissions will be Blackened...

When the Engine Returns to Normal Idle, drop other two Ounces, Slowly... And wait untill Engine back to Normal Idlin`

...Then Three, And Wait...

And so, Untill the Emmisions clear up, and It`s Done! :)

I think a Litter of Water will be far Enough...

it Work for Just Carbon Deposits, for Gum & Varnish, I use a "Motul Engine Clean" that mixes with Old Oil, 15 minutes before oil Change...

JesZeK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users