Ultimate Subaru Message Board

outback struts

pamike

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Neo, I am thinking about going out when you guys go again. I should have it all lifted by the beginning of next week. Where is the Barrens? Either way I would be trailering it there due to it being the first time on the trail with it. I will probably just talk to you when you come out for the struts.

pamike, did you get any pics of the tires on your car? I am thinking of going with the same ones. Do they seem to be working without rubbing anywhere? I did the same lift you did with the outback struts and springs. And also did you notice any rear tow issues? I know the trailing control arms are the same for all 90-99 legacys, I am going to check into the mounting plate to see if it is different for the Outback models to correct the tow in on the rear due to the lift.

And on one other note: I took my GPS along for the first ride and the speedo is actually closer to correct now than it was with the little 14s on it:confused: It is actually still showing 42 on the speedo when my GPS says 40. I know the GPS is correct because I had it in my mustang and it read the same as the speedo all the way from 20 to 150mph :clap:

pamike, did you get any pics of the tires on your car? I am thinking of going with the same ones. Do they seem to be working without rubbing anywhere? I did the same lift you did with the outback struts and springs. And also did you notice any rear tow issues? I know the trailing control arms are the same for all 90-99 legacys, I am going to check into the mounting plate to see if it is different for the Outback models to correct the tow in on the rear due to the lift.:

i am still waiting to get the camera i want. gotta get some money saved back up again. when the lift and tires was complete i have about a $1000 into a $400 car. the fronts rub when the steering is fully turned but i am sure it's just on the plastic guard in the front. the rears rub only when hitting hard bumps but only on the mud flaps. if you remove them you should be fine. mine had a plastic guard on the rear of the rockers that had to come off also. the allignment on the front was really out but i took it and got an allignment done with no issues. it drives nice and strait. you should be fine. i really like the grabbers i put on it. minimal road noise but still have great traction in snow/mud.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+AT+2&partnum=075TR5GRAT2OWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=21

• 9 months later...
i am still waiting to get the camera i want. gotta get some money saved back up again. when the lift and tires was complete i have about a $1000 into a $400 car. the fronts rub when the steering is fully turned but i am sure it's just on the plastic guard in the front. the rears rub only when hitting hard bumps but only on the mud flaps. if you remove them you should be fine. mine had a plastic guard on the rear of the rockers that had to come off also. the allignment on the front was really out but i took it and got an allignment done with no issues. it drives nice and strait. you should be fine. i really like the grabbers i put on it. minimal road noise but still have great traction in snow/mud.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+AT+2&partnum=075TR5GRAT2OWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=21

Hey hate to beat a dead horse but I am getting ready to do the same on my legacy.

So from what I have heard the best set up it to use outback struts with legacy springs? I also picked up a set of 15 outback wheels and plan on running 207/70 15 Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S.

How off will my speedo be?

Should I be ok for tire clearance?

Thanks

mine has outback struts and stock springs with 205/75-15 tires. rubs on rear mudflap a little and rubs when steering wheel is fully turned.

Great thanks for the info. That looks great!

I was goign to run both outback struts and springs but did not want the hassel with control arms and such.

from what i've heard outback springs are the same size as stock legacy springs and will not give you any lift

Actually I have a couple of people who have told me you get about another 2 inches if you use outback springs. I have both so when I do mine I will take put legacy vs outback springs next to each other & take a picture.

I was goign to run both outback struts and springs but did not want the hassel with control arms and such.

There will be a lift - but you won't need any change with the control arms, CV joints etc - Just remove old struts and install new outback struts using your Legacy's old springs or grab some new ones. But you will need to get a wheel alignment afterwards.

from what i've heard outback springs are the same size as stock legacy springs and will not give you any lift

Thats correct - Both Legacy and Outback's springs are the same, you can get Kings Raised Springs will give you another 1" lift.

I'll upload photos of mine in next posting.

Cheers

AP

Thats correct - Both Legacy and Outback's springs are the same, you can get Kings Raised Springs will give you another 1" lift.

AP

yeah i was pretty sure they were the same. i've parked next to alot of outbacks with my legacy and my legacy has more ground clearance. this wouldn't be the case if the outback springs gave more lift.

That looks great, nice pics. How did you correct the speedo?

This only works if you have electric speedo -

http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5435&CATID=&keywords=speedo&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

I know its in Australia but I am sure you might have something like this in America? (people always upgrade to larger diameter tyres on their cars specially 4WDs etc) Its an idea for you what to get.. that kit requires someone who can solder on. If you wish for me to buy one for you and solder it up for you I can do that for you for $100USD. (requires PayPal)

Cheers

AP

Using Outback Struts, standard Liberty (Legacy to you guys) springs, running on 205/70 15" with speedo corrector installed to give me correct speed.

Cheers

AP

Nice pics!

That looks great, nice pics. How did you correct the speedo?

yeah i was pretty sure they were the same. i've parked next to alot of outbacks with my legacy and my legacy has more ground clearance. this wouldn't be the case if the outback springs gave more lift.

That's because the Outback has spacer blocks that actually lower the driveline in relation to the body. Subaru did this to keep the same axle angles LEG vs. OB, but they aren't really needed. The axles can take the added angle pretty well.

So yes you get more clearance at the diffs from a LEG w/OB struts than the regular OB has.

You would only need the control arm and a-arm mounts if you were installing the 2 1/2 inch Outback body spacers with the struts. Which is not needed.

My thought was to use the whole Outback set(struts, crossmember blocks, control arm and A-arm mounts)) and then additionally using a 2-3 inch strut top lift.

That would end up with the same driveline axles as the OB strut Legacy, but with 3 inch higher body.