Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Vibration

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mks64

mks64

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Melbourne

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:29 AM

I have a subaru legacy 95 wagon, when car is stoped in drive or reverse it vibrates/shakes when in park or N its ok

what could it be my mechanic says he cant do nothing about it :-\

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,542 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:04 AM

Do a search here, lots of posts on it, lots of theories, some people can fix it, others can't.

nipper

#3 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:04 AM

If you please, you could read the folloowing very recent
posts on this problem.
Hope they help shed some light.
http://www.ultimates...=idle vibration

http://www.ultimates...=idle vibration
BTW
I found these by doing a "Search" using "idle problem" in
the New Gen forum

#4 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:14 PM

Hi mks64 and welcome! Did you by any chance have any of the axle half shafts/cv joints replaced with aftermarket rebuilts units right before this problem started?

#5 mks64

mks64

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Melbourne

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:07 AM

thanks for the replies and not sure if cv joints have been changed only had the car for 5 months

#6 Aspen

Aspen

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Ontario

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:43 PM

good luck.

Mine does it too, as do many others with different generations and different engines.
Now I have a new symptom to add.
When I first start out in the morning it feels like the car does not want to stop. I have to put the brakes on pretty hard to keep the car from moving when at a stop in gear. This is noticeable and causes lots of shaking. After the transmission has warmed up (ie 15 minutes of driving) it is not nearly as bad. I can ease up on the brakes and the shaking is maybe only 1/2 as bad. It's been around -5C around here, so it takes a while for the fluid to warm up.

Current possible solutions are:
new engine mounts
new torque converter
ATF pump
Flexplate
TCU
I am going to flush the tranny again and replace the filters and use Subaru ATF just to rule that out.

#7 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,542 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:37 PM

good luck.

Mine does it too, as do many others with different generations and different engines.
Now I have a new symptom to add.
When I first start out in the morning it feels like the car does not want to stop. I have to put the brakes on pretty hard to keep the car from moving when at a stop in gear. This is noticeable and causes lots of shaking. After the transmission has warmed up (ie 15 minutes of driving) it is not nearly as bad. I can ease up on the brakes and the shaking is maybe only 1/2 as bad. It's been around -5C around here, so it takes a while for the fluid to warm up.

Current possible solutions are:
new engine mounts
new torque converter
ATF pump
Flexplate
TCU
I am going to flush the tranny again and replace the filters and use Subaru ATF just to rule that out.

There are a lot of threads on the brakes failing when cold. Actually waht we think is happening is that the check valave to the booster is gummed up and sticking in sub zero weather. It seems to be easily fixed by spraying the valve with carb cleaner.

nipper

#8 Aspen

Aspen

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Ontario

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:24 PM

It feels more like the transmission is applying force to the wheels as opposed to the brakes being difficult to actuate. I did some experimenting to confirm what I was feeling. I suspect there TC is applying torque when it is cold at idle, the vibration could be worse due to this extra load and making whatever it is shake more. As it warms up there is less load and less shaking.

#9 crazyhorse001

crazyhorse001

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 469 posts
  • Greeneville

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:06 PM

It feels more like the transmission is applying force to the wheels as opposed to the brakes being difficult to actuate. I did some experimenting to confirm what I was feeling. I suspect there TC is applying torque when it is cold at idle, the vibration could be worse due to this extra load and making whatever it is shake more. As it warms up there is less load and less shaking.

This makes sense, as the fluid is cold, thus thicker. The TC would add more force. As for the shaking, the boxer 4 is inherently smooth,but @ idle just about every Subie I've had ,has had some vibration.

#10 artistic_gore

artistic_gore

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Renton, WA

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:22 PM

My car vibrates when low on trans fluid. It also doesn't like taking off, it will run up to 4000rpm before it will take off from a dead stop. This is when the trans fluid is at the low warm mark, I add 1/2qt to 1qt of fluid and it goes away.

#11 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:28 PM

My car vibrates when low on trans fluid. It also doesn't like taking off, it will run up to 4000rpm before it will take off from a dead stop. This is when the trans fluid is at the low warm mark, I add 1/2qt to 1qt of fluid and it goes away.

Dude that is very bad for the AT, it will shred the clutches very quickly.

#12 mks64

mks64

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Melbourne

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:19 AM

Mine is really bad first thing in the morning and also when AC is on.
Its good to know im not the only one, was thinking of selling the car but besides it vibrating its a good car.
WISH I KNEW HOW TO FIX IT

#13 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,542 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:02 PM

Can someone put a vacum gauge on these cars (and drive with it) and tell us how the needle is responding, as that would help.

nipper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users