Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thank Fuji....

We have these delightfully simple little cars... SO easy to work on and tweak, and they even come with a built-in limiter to keep us from getting too involved...

I was just over on hybridZ.org drowning in information I couldn't friggin handle.

I am a pretty smart guy.. Automotive engineering/mechanics is NOT my strong point in the slightest, but I have fun and I know my limits... one of the joyous things about finding this forum was the discovery that this subaru is TOTALLY within my limits, even as they were THEN..

check this thread out. I am sure some of you will be able to pick right up and read it.. and I understood what everyone was talking about, but it was still over my level. Flow dynamics within different possible custom intake manifolds on an old inline 6 datsun engine......

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=113623&highlight=intake+custom

or this one, discussing cylinder head customization....

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=108398&highlight=intake+custom

My point is, its nice to have powerful engines... but it is ALSO very VERY nice to have simple ones. Thank Fuji they even left us with the fairly simple motor swap to get to that power we all crave (E-J! E-J!)

and its not like the datsun L-series is the pinnacle of automotive engineering, either.... its a fairly simple design.. my point was basically, our EAs arent WORTH this much effort, and sometimes that is a GOOD thing...

..because now I am reeling, thinking about how much reading and discussion I am gonna have to do to actually build my Z.

Mods, if this seems miscategorized, feel free to move it. I just felt like discussing it in the forum that is so responsible for turning me from a shadetree hack into a serious gearhead... plus it is also a comment on the relative simplicity of operating and tuning our EAs, in comparison to a motor roughly equivalent on the tech side but with much much more room to grow, performance-wise. (400+ WHP out of a stroked turbocharged Lseries 6 :burnout::grin:)

Nice Thread daeron! :)

Well... I Love our EA Engined Subies, and the EJ series Too... But `bout Simplicity, EA`s are far more Simples, and Very Good Upgradeables, but they Aren`t as Simples as we Think, for a Latin American Mechanic, who only see Regulary in-Line Cyls Engines...

I Know Lot of Stories About Mechanics damagin` Subies Engines, in Things like to Adjust Valves in a Hydro Lifters EA82, Wrong Timin` Belt Settings, etc... I`ve Helped a Lot of People who Owns Subarus in those "Minorities".

I love Subarus, so I thank Fuji too... :burnout: