Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition barrel removal (1984)

Does anyone know how to remove the key cylinder lock barrel from the ignition lock assembly.?? (1984 Brat/Justy/Wagon)

Im guessing maybe I need to drill a hole in the assembly casing to release a clip or spring.

Any information, link to photo or description would be awesome.

Thanks a million for reading.

Im not sure what you are asking. The assmebly itself is bolted in using special break-away heads on the screws. To remove the assembly you drill off what looks like screw heads.

After that i would take it to a lock smith and let them change the cylinder.

is that what you need to know?

nipper

Thanks again.

The problem is the wrong key was used to start the car and the ignition is locked in the "on/run" postion, and the key cannot be removed or turned.

I know I can just leave it in there, and use a universal starter instead, but I would prefer not to.

I have a strong suspicion that there is a spring/clip/pin that must be pushed and the whole barrel will simply slide out (i had to do this on another vehicle previously-and had to drill a very small hole to push the pin down).

The cylinder has some movement in the assembly (like being held by a clip/spring), so this further suggests to me that it can be removed with the right technique.

Thanks again

hi everyone

does anyone know how to remove the ignition barrel and tumblers from an 1984 wagon (from the steering lock assembly).

i believe there is some kind of spring lock i need to release (or maybe a pin hole i need to drill??)

thanks for reading this.