Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 N/A Compression Check...

I was going to do a compression check today, but got a little confused while reading the directions to do it in the Chilton manual I have. I've done compression checks on older V8s, but this is a little different.

The manual says to disconnect the high tension lead from the ignition coil. Where is that? :confused: Pretty sure that is the centre wire on a distributor cap, but there is no such animal on the EJ22.

It then says to disconnect the cold start valve. Where would I find that? :confused: There are no photos to indicate in this manual.

Then I just remove the injector connections, screw in the compression guage and have someone crank it over with the gas pedal floored. Need to get to that point, though.

The problem is you're using a Haynes manual. It is just giving you a generic fuel injection walk through of doing a compresson check. I bet it is word for word from there "fuel injection" workbook for "all vehicles":lol:

No disty lead, just undo the harness connector to coil. Unplug injector clips. go for it.

If you use a remote starter switch, or just a jumper wire, from 12v @ bat to solenoid term. on starter, you don't have to unplug anything. Fuel pump and coil won't be operative, just starter. Just remove all plugs and hold open the throttle by hand.

Gloyale hits the main points

1) Pull all plugs - crank RPM should be on the order of 300 RPM

2) Prop the throttle at WOT (Wide Open Throttle)

this prevents the intake manifold vacuum from offseting the

pressure generated in the cyl.

3) Use a remote starter to prvent fuel being injected and any spark to be generated.

Something like this (which can also be used if the ignition switch gives problems later in life),

remstar.jpg

4) count the pulses to achieve the highest reading.

should only be four or five.

5) write down each reading, it's not so much the PSI

but the balance ( + - 15%)

6) Wet test (bit of oil added) do little on boxer engines

due to cyl config.

Hope this helps

The manual says to disconnect the high tension lead from the ignition coil. Where is that? :confused: Pretty sure that is the centre wire on a distributor cap, but there is no such animal on the EJ22.

What they meant was on the ignition module, behind it there is an connector to connect for ECM. Unplug that... then you shld be able to do compression test - gotta do mine as well!

Cheers

AP

Me: Nice run to Tim Horton's, engine should be at operating temperature now. Let's get at it. OOPS, I had better find my compression guage now.

Brother: How long do you figure this will take?

Me: Not long, maybe half hour or so. Where is that damned guage?

Brother: Ahhh, good coffee.

Me: Yup. Dammit, I know that guage is here somewhere!

Brother: When was the last time you used it?

Me: Hmmm, probably when I checked my compression on the truck when I lived at the house in the city. Couple years maybe...

Brother: Oh, you mean that one you loaned me a couple years ago that is sitting in my Bronco II back in the city? Good guage, that one. Hell, I think all my friends used it too.

Me: GODDAMIT!! :mad:

Me: Nice run to Tim Horton's, engine should be at operating temperature now. Let's get at it. OOPS, I had better find my compression guage now.

Brother: How long do you figure this will take?

Me: Not long, maybe half hour or so. Where is that damned guage?

Brother: Ahhh, good coffee.

Me: Yup. Dammit, I know that guage is here somewhere!

Brother: When was the last time you used it?

Me: Hmmm, probably when I checked my compression on the truck when I lived at the house in the city. Couple years maybe...

Brother: Oh, you mean that one you loaned me a couple years ago that is sitting in my Bronco II back in the city? Good guage, that one. Hell, I think all my friends used it too.

Me: GODDAMIT!! :mad:

LOL

Cheers

AP

Thanks for the input guys! :headbang:

I don't have a remote trigger, but my brother is coming for a visit this afternoon and I was going to put him to work turning over the ignition while I check the compression guage.

You can just use a wire, connect it to the solenoid term then touch the other end to + side of battery. No unplugging nothin. If you have someone crank it with the key the fuel pump and Coil will be energized. If you do it that way then all the unplugging mentioned is required.

You can just use a wire, connect it to the solenoid term then touch the other end to + side of battery. No unplugging nothin. If you have someone crank it with the key the fuel pump and Coil will be energized. If you do it that way then all the unplugging mentioned is required.

I have plenty of wire lieing around, looks like that is the way I will be doing it this weekend. Thx!

Even worse, as they try to cover every model in one book and succeed in covering about 10%

I know thats why i pointed it out. Hayens is a good book, dont know why you dislike it so much, but each thier own.

I am still trying to find a FSM for blu with no luck, and i hate those cd versions.

nipper

I agree with Nipper on the CD manuals.

An FSM for my 97 OB is expensive.

(I find the older Subes FSMs but can't find a cheap one for a "newer" models)

So I have the CD version and some .pdf files

for the OB and the 2.5 RS

My solution:

From Craigslist I bought a cheap Samsung Laser printer

~ 60 bucks

I then printed all the files and still have toner to spare.

Now when I get a page or two "grease monkey'd" up, I print another.

;^)