Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Build My Brat

DualRangeDynamo

Hi everyone. I've been out of the Subaru world for quite a few years now, though hung onto some of my stuff for when I'd get back into my project. Well, I've started getting the itch to get back into it! From what I've read, it sounds like there have been a lot of folks that have been down this road already, so am looking for some advice to make this process a little easier and am trying to figure out what I'll all need to get going on my transplant.

Here's what I have. A nice complete '86 Brat, an EJ20TT (just the motor - no computer, intercooler and such) and possible access to a complete XT turbo, but do not know the year as of yet.

Perhaps my motor selection wasn't ideal, though do not know enough as to what would be, but thought it'd be cool. Am wanting a lift that looks good, but is not excessive and requiring a lot of severe changes to make it work. It'll be a driver and may not see the off-road a lot, but will from time to time (snow, mud). Am wanting a low ratio LSD, I think, a 5 speed D/R transmission and would like some agressive looking off-road tires (details).

So... what would you guys recommend for parts to complete the process and make a mean little machine? Is the XT turbo worth picking up for parts?

I'm not so much looking for the 'how-to', but the 'what would you do if it were yours'. Essentially, parts/products that work well and recommendations. The 'how-to' may come later when I get stuck, but I have some reading of these threads to do before I ever start. I want to get a part list together and try to figure out how much money I'll need to come up with to get the job done and start acquiring.

Thanks for any suggestions and helpful input.

Travis

well first of all...i would say if you plan on using that Ej20TT, i would say dont do the D/r from the xt because that poor tranny wont live very long... you could save up like 1500$$ and ship an Ej duel range from australia, but good luck with that one.....i would get a hold of matty B. he has a brat with like a 3 in lift(not looking like its for wheelin, but for a more stable looking ride) and its a supercharged Ej22. and it is really nice. im sure he could fill you in with what you would like to do.

I put a Ej18 w/5 inch lift, I used an EA82 crossmember/power steering rack. It's mated to the stock 4spd D/R tranny. I have XT-6 hubs front and rear allowing for 5X100 wheels. That to me is the ideal set-up.

To run the Ej20TT you will need the computer and harness. A D/R probably would not be able to handle the power from the Ej20TT so you might need to use an EJ tranny. Then comes a bit of fabrication and custom work to get the drive lines hooked up.

If you got the XT parts car and are going to do a lift, then use the lift blocks to serve as an adapter and use the XT's crossmember and power steering set up. That's about the extent of XT parts that are usable. The seats are pretty cool, but they are probably messed up from age.

I think that what you are going to do depends on how skilled you are and what kind of tools you have.

Good luck

BW

ej20tt aka ej20h doesnt have wiring diagrams for it anywhere so its pointless to get a wiring harness even if you could find one. you can make ej22 wiring harness work on it, and use ej22e ecu with a piggyback like a greddy emanage or perfectpower smt6. but its a decent motor otherwise has a little bit high compression, 9:1 but with a good tune and intercooler it should do ok.

dont bother with importing an ej dual range. the low range on em is pathetic at 1.1xx:1. not sure why they even decided to go to that complexity and not put in a decent reduction. best trans bargain is a NA legacy with cable clutch and 4.11 diff gears. they hold up and you can get em for under 300 sometimes. there are tons of em in the yards. you could also go with a forester trans they have 4.44 diff gears but they are a little expensive. you could do a 4eat too if its an offroader. 4eat with 4.44 gears would be pretty sweet.

Looks like I'm going to have to change my username. Great info guys - thanks.

Couple of questions - remember, it's been awhile, but is the XT turbo an EA81 or 82? Also, what's a 4eat?

Would the 4.44's be too low for normal on-road driving? Sounds like the ticket otherwise.

I see mention of some aftermarket computers. Any preferences? Also am wondering about what to do for an intercooler. Any suggestions as far as going with an air to air or liquid cooled and any good donor vehicles?

Any other motor items to look for like fuel pumps or any other recommended mods?

Any suggested suspension upgrades or handling items?

If it were your project, what items would you put on your wish list? Hopefully I can make some informed decisions and get going on this baby, as I'm sure it's still going to be a long haul. Can't wait! Sorry for all the questions, just am eager to get up to speed.

As far as the intercooler goes, you can use any WRX or STi top mount ic. Depending on lift you may have to cut the mounting area for the spare tire though. I would also highly recommend getting a wrx or 91-94 turbo legacy exhaust manifold, up-pipe, and downpipe setup and making the motor a single turbo setup. The tt motors won't fit our lhd vehicles because of the brake booster and steering shaft.

4EAT= 4 speed Electronicly controled Automatic Transmission

If you go with the auto 4.44's you shouldn't have a problem with on road gearing since they are stock in subie's.

If you can find a 91-94 turbo legacy manual cheap for a donor you could use it's wiring and ecu to better control the turbo motor. and have a pretty strong transmission as well, gear ratios on these are 3.9 and some came with the lsd option.

As far as lift kits go contact Scott In Bellingham, or look in the marketplace vendor area

XT will be an ea82 also

The fuel pump will need to be an external mpfi pump, like would be on that XT you speak of.

As far as suspension and stuff, look into 5 lug swaps on here,

holy crap!! central MN?! Where?

join http://www.MNSubaru.com

there are a ton of people on there with parts, and knowhow for this kind of build (engine wise), that could come help in person.

as far as the lift is concerned, I've got a couple buddies (one with a brat) who are piecing their lifts together. we could get you into a nice solid setup for pretty cheap.

we should talk in person....and I'll get you set up right. I'm sending you a private message now...

• 3 months later...

user:rguyver

around here somewhere..........he did the exact thing you are contemplating.not tt,but .search search,search.there is a ton of info here and it can only be read ,so,read up.have patience and everything will come together except your wallet and happiness.:grin:

BTW... The FT4WD D/R box in the XT's use the same gears as the "Liberty/Legacy D/R" boxes we have in Australia. The only weakness I have heard of in the FT4WD box to turbo'd EJ power would be the center diff lock. But if you don't use boost with it locked then that is fine. I've givin my EJ22 D/R FT4WD box a real thrashing on a dry dirt drag stripe and it's happy as ever.

I too just became the proud owner of a 1986 subaru brat. I want to fix it up but i really don't know where to begin. I have never been real knowledgeable when it comes to fixing cars. But I have an idea of what I would like to do and was wondering the best way to go about it. I will be picking the car up tomorrow and will then be able to get an up close and personal look at it. It's a 1986 subaru brat GL. I want to get some more HP to it. Always wanted a vehicle with a turbo, possible to buy a turbo and install it? Would that require a new tranny? Lifting doesn't seem like it'll be that hard but for shocks if i lifted would that require new shocks? I am just bubbling over with questions. I haven't been sleeping well lately because i have been so excited about getting this car. I don't know much about these definitions such as EA81 and EA82. I have come to understand though that i think my car has an EA81. Would love to have a mentor that could break this jargon down into dummy language :) Thanks so much!

Danaan

I too just became the proud owner of a 1986 subaru brat. I want to fix it up but i really don't know where to begin. I have never been real knowledgeable when it comes to fixing cars. But I have an idea of what I would like to do and was wondering the best way to go about it. I will be picking the car up tomorrow and will then be able to get an up close and personal look at it. It's a 1986 subaru brat GL. I want to get some more HP to it. Always wanted a vehicle with a turbo, possible to buy a turbo and install it? Would that require a new tranny? Lifting doesn't seem like it'll be that hard but for shocks if i lifted would that require new shocks? I am just bubbling over with questions. I haven't been sleeping well lately because i have been so excited about getting this car. I don't know much about these definitions such as EA81 and EA82. I have come to understand though that i think my car has an EA81. Would love to have a mentor that could break this jargon down into dummy language :) Thanks so much!

Danaan

the best advice I can give is to be patient. drive the car a lot and find out what you don't like about it for your own uses. Subaru's can be pretty much anything, and how you build it depends on your personal preference and your uses. don't get too excited and drop a ton of money into a setup that someone else said they liked, it might be a good combination, but it just as easily might not....

that said, don't just slap a turbo on your stock motor. you're not going to see enough benefits without seriously jeapordizing the reliability of the motor...

no, you won't need longer shocks with a lift. but with an ea81 (what your brat is), longer rear shocks can drastically help your travel.

the EJ22 (legacy/impreza 2.2l) is an awesome swap for almost any use. no turbo lag, tons of torque low in the rpm range, extremely reliable, and extremely easy to get your hands on.