Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how do you runa turbo ?

subaruguru

Yep! I have already spent more then the cost of an factory turbocharged roo and I am not even done yet. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :dead:

If you really want to know what you need to do buy a book called Maximum Boost. It is the bible of turbocharging. Read it and then see if you really want to build a turbocharged engine.

Second step, buy a subaru turbo.

Its one thing to turbo charge a car that was never turboed, its another to put a turbo on a NA engine, when the factory made a turbo version of the same car.

Buy a proper turbo, and give us another 1000.00 dollars on top of it, and it will be just like converting a NA subaru to turbo.

nipper

• 3 weeks later...

You've got to run oil and coolant lines to the turbo (Not sure if the Chrysler turbos are water cooled) and if your car is carbureted, forget turboing it as boost + carbs is more trouble than it's worth, unless you want to build a draw-through setup, which is even more trouble. SPFI will probably work to a point, not sure how much boost they will take before they lean out. MPFI is somewhat easy to swap since the ECU is the same as the turbo cars, just needs a jumper in the harness cut.... (I might have that backwards) but the MPFI cars don't have the computer-controlled dizzy, at least the early ones don't, so you'll have to watch what gas you run and probably will have to retard the timing to keep it from detonating. Also what boost does the turbo you're using run at? if it runs 12 psi and you're putting it on a 9.5:1 MPFI engine, be prepared for blown head gaskets unless you do some engine work and intercool it.

If your car is MPFI (Not many N/A cars were MPFI though) best bet would be to just swap the entire engine to a turbo engine. If it's SPFI, you can swap to a turbo engine and swap the wiring and ECU out of a turbo car, but if it's carbureted you'll have to swap the fuel pump and probably the fuel lines as the fuel injection system requires MUCH higher pressure than the carburetor.

There are plenty of things you can do to an NA car to make it fast though, maybe not as much as you can do with a turbo car, but a decent exhaust sytem, free-flowing intake, and a set of NA cams from Delta Camshaft, and you're on your way to making some decent power. If your car is carbed, you can do a Weber swap and gain some horsepower there as well.

And a turbo works by using the waste heat in the exhaust to spin a fan at very high speeds (in excess of 100,000 RPM) to compress the air going into the engine, but there are a lot of things that need to be done besides just bolting the turbo on.

get a turbo vehicle. even if you could get it to work, the ECU isn't going to allow you to boost much....then you get into all the electronics and boost controllers...and cost...money you could just put towards a vehicle that already has a turbo in it.

your non turbo isn't set up to control the boost, if you can control the boost, the ECU won't let you take it up very far and your ignition timing will likely destroy your engine unless you start monitoring your EGT's...$$$$. and, your engine doesn't support coolant and oil flow for the turbo, so you'll have to do some custom oil pump, oil returns, tapping and welding your heads or oil pans.....etc to have those oil and coolant supplies and return lines.

and after all of this work you'll end up with a high compression turbo..which sucks. turbo engines have low compression pistons...so even if you did "bolt it on"...to do it so you can actually use the boost you need to swap pistons in the block so you can actually get some good useable boost levels going.

that's why everyone is saying to get a turbo subaru and do it right, otherwise it's really not worth it and you end up with an unreliable vehicle that isn't very fast anyway.

is your engine fuel injected now? if it's carbbed, then you can't just drop in a fuel injected engine, there is no computer or wiring harness to run it.
And if your going to the trouble of putting the new fuel lines in, maybe the new tank, cutting the loom in and all that... You may as well put the EJ in while your there, not much more to it..

Turbo's are so over rated.

And if your going to the trouble of putting the new fuel lines in, maybe the new tank, cutting the loom in and all that... You may as well put the EJ in while your there, not much more to it..

Turbo's are so over rated.

Or if you are dead set on turbo'd, Buy a nice ej** turbo and do it right the first time.

:burnout: hey thanks for the input guys its has saved me alot of money i was gona spend on a turbo engine and all so now my question is dose any one have a subaru rx or xt turbo car around in running condition i have a great 86 carbed subaru gl wagon 4x4 everything works has digi dash and d/r and lsd rear everything set up for a/c if u have a pump really good runner 99% rust free has small surface rust on fender well edge also all glass is great headlinner has a hole in it no biggy i have a nother one for it good seats great carpit and everything GREAT BLUE PAINT CHROME ROOF RACK . WILL TRADE OR SELL ASKING 600 dollers for it or will trade for XT,RX,any 2 door subaru turbo car,maby 4 door turbo must be turbo car thanks all let me know what you have or if ur interested. has good tires all hub caps and chrome rings black spoke rims comes with a set of gold and aluminum subaru enkies (the diamond patern) has new grill bumper and headlights. thnaks all hope someone wants to trad would rather get a car for it than money still need a daily driver lol let me know what you got.

I don't want to be rude... but.....

It would help if you read everything you typed and put in full stops and commas where needed before hitting that "post" button. This would help us read what you are typing.

Thanks.

It's not rude, its proper posting procudures. As pointed out to me by General Disored:grin: