Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil pressure gauge?

I noticed that GL10 turbowagons with the digital dash don't have an oil pressure gauge or readout. I was wondering why this is and if you could hook up an electronic gauge easily. Does the motor still have the hookup on the block for it, or is that missing too. Just a thought.

there is a wire that goes to the sending unit on the oil pump. the sending unit still does its thing, but it works a dummy lite(or check engine)

if you knew the voltage and resistance signals, i'm sure you can get an electronic ga. to work.

or you can go the mechanical route..

sorry Fox there are two different types of switches,

the one for the gauge is a oil pressure sender unit it has a variable resistor in it and looks like this

oilprsen1.JPG

the other unit for the light is just an oil pressure switch.

There are two ports on the oil pump - one for each type, you can have you cake and wolf it down also

The thread size is in question, i think it may be Whitworth.

i've got an extra 89 spfi engine that came w/ a oil pressure gauge around and was wondering if i could put the oil pressure sender into my 87 mpfi turbo. Then just run an aftermarket electronic gauge off of that one. The warning lamp would probably hook up the same to the mpfi wouldn't it. Is this a valid way of doing it or am i way off and missing something?