Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new rig build.......56k beware

monstaru

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh and to just answer your question.because some people like carbs.and not everyone is trying to go" bigger and better."

some people are simple ,like me.

oh ,and rob.************ fuel injection,unless it is propane.:lol::headbang:

I am with the Monstaru.

See you all after the electromagnetic pulse!

I understand and honor your decision to keep the carb.....cause I can't make a carb run right to save my life (well...I got that weed wacker to run pretty smooth....but that didn't take much).

it's an awesome project, and i can't wait to see it when it's done!!

i'll take over from here boys.thnaks though;)

so, you, much like half of the population thinks that efi is a better setup.i,like a majority of the "old school" generation prefer carbs.

why , you ask?.because being able to fix something with duct tape and bailing wire appeals to me in a high mountain sitiation(yes i said sitiation)

a tad bit of porting and polishing is necessary to get the same output hp wise as an efi.but,with less "electronical"(yes i did say "electronical")nonsense under there,i am able to troubleshoot on a dime,being chased by "the man",and under extreme stress.

now, if you wish to argue about which is"better".go start your own thread.this is a build thread.and i am posting what i am building.if you don't like it.don't read it.cheers, hope you enjoy my unconventional,gonna whoop your efi rump roast in the mud when you lose your battery....thread.

brian:grin:

oh and to just answer your question.because some people like carbs.and not everyone is trying to go" bigger and better."

some people are simple ,like me.:headbang:

oh ,and rob.************ fuel injection,unless it is propane.:lol::headbang:

Sorry, didn't mean to piss in your Cheerios, was just asking a question.

Buy the way, Subarus have an electric fuel pump, so when your battery dies........................well I guess you could always strap the fuel tank to the roof an gravity feed your carb.

I'll go away now.

i am sorry there are no pics of suspension stuff yet........that will come this weekend.i am getting bolts for the intake today.trying to locate a carb i want to use.i have one in mind,but have to locate one as they are none to easy to find.at least the way i want it setup.

as far as the fuel pump is concerned ,there are several options for making it vacuum actuated.,or

this as my fuel pump....smartass.

i like a good chiding walker,but realize that you will get it back.i have never backed down from anything in my life.especially a naysayer.:grin: a few here have met me and would probably tell you how i am,but your close,drop on over and see the project if you like.

cheers,brian

I see both sides of the arguements here with valid points. But there is really no reason to try to desuade somebody from doing what they know and love when it comes to a build.

I'm better with computers and handheld tuning devices than I am with carb jets and the internal workings of a distributor.

While this isn't a build for the ultimate street monster, thats not the point, if it was then I could see the point in disputing the carb and dizzy on an ej motor.

Just my .02 though.

i don't even have it built and i will put up a challenge.

anyone that says it won't stand up to the test come around when it is finished and we will have a go at it.

whatever you wish,street,mud,sand,whatever..and i will take a run with you.

i am not saying i will beat you,but that has not been my concern all along.so there....(insert emoticon with tongue sticking out):lol:

enough of the"you won't get this or you won't get that" bull************.

if i had to listen to all of you guys as to what i shoiuld build i would never get anything done.id rather cut stuff up,weld it back together and see what it does.:Flame:

I reckon this is a great idea to carb the EJ (this coming from someone who just got their EJ to start up on the cut down loom.)

I like it when people do new things. Even if these things have been done before, it's still kinda new because not many people have done it.. Ok, so it's not new, but at least it's different.

Some people know how to make carbs do what they should. I envy those people..

Well done so far monstaru. :headbang:

Can't wait to see some pics of it on the road, or off the road would be better.

well, carb, efi debate... which is why ultimately i'm getting the gotpropane kit and 2, 8 gallon forklift tanks. when the truck becomes a full blown trailer queen... carbs work fine, when tuned properly, they can cough and have problems on side hills and steep inclines. but i haven't not been able to make an obstacle just cause it was a carbed engine. it's more of what you prefer, if your good at tuning a carb! go for it! (i suck at tuning them...) propane ;)

you know what year it was? the long bed's and extended cabs with teh solid axle were 112" till like 86 or 88 i believe. then the 90's extended cab and long bed were 123" wheelbase. the short cabs are 103"... go measure and i'll figure it out for you. cent of front hub to center of rear hub.

My guess is...extended cab - '84 or '85. Or maybe that is '83-or-earlier...I can't tell.

WHAT IS IT?

edit: Also, I should really be eating my broccoli and drinking my coffee with grounds...so I can grow sideburns like that (for the love of all that is holy, what's your manly facial hair-growing secret?:lol:)

it is an 84 frame,and i think it is extended cab.i was looking at one yesterday at the yard and it had differehnt bed mounts on it.who knows and who cares ....it is going to be a great time building it.

and i could not grow these things until i was 25.i am 32 this year and have not shaved them since i could grow them.it's just wrong.without them.:lol:

My guess is...extended cab - '84 or '85. Or maybe that is '83-or-earlier...I can't tell.

WHAT IS IT?

edit: Also, I should really be eating my broccoli and drinking my coffee with grounds...so I can grow sideburns like that (for the love of all that is holy, what's your manly facial hair-growing secret?:lol:)

it is an 84 frame,and i think it is extended cab.i was looking at one yesterday at the yard and it had differehnt bed mounts on it.who knows and who cares ....it is going to be a great time building it.

and i could not grow these things until i was 25.i am 32 this year and have not shaved them since i could grow them.it's just wrong.without them.:lol:

I thought so...but my Yota knowledge is not up to par!

Anyway...what exactly are your plans for this frame? We need more details/updates/plans!

Oh, and I probably won't ever grow burns like that (my Norwegian-ness...it makes my facial hair almost blonde - not cool. Dang my Nordic blood!). But here is your next step in becoming a true manly man.

i am doing nothing with the frame.the axles on the other hand.:cool: was thinking about doing a dana 44 u-joint conversion.heard anything about this jared?i searched nww and did not find anyone who has done it.they all just switched axles.i wish i could afford your axles.i would just do that.but alas,i cannot and will do what i have always done........bide my time and trade like a madman until i get what i want.:grin:

just save up and get the 30 spline longfield axles or also known as bobby longs. stronger than the ujoint conversion and i've never heard anyone that didn't have problems with them. the weakpoint in those dana 44's are the u joints. a 30spline longfield has a breaking strength around a dana 60. which is what i'm going to save up and pony up for the shafts. and then put chromoly's in the rear when i can.

http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/

this is what everybody upgrades to if they keep the yota axles.