Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brat LSD, camber mod and rear discs

right, well after alot of searching, (mostly during my IT lesson at skool, which is bloody boring) ive come to the conclusion om wanting to go for the camber/caster mod, a rear LSD (3.7), and rear disc brakes on my brat, but my thought is, what subys do i get these parts off, or do they all come off one type of car? ive seen stuff about turbos and stuff for some parts and this has already made it a bit hard, unless its off an early legacy, as i know theres a few kicking about or impreza, which is also not too bad, and can you tell us a few bits that also might be worth having off the one car if it is all to be taken off one

cheers everyone :burnout:

Mate, you need a late 80's or early 90's EA82T sedan.

Swap in the lower control arms and cvs for better camber,

Clutch pack LDS Diff swaps right in,

Rear discs are a bolt in too.

Its the only vehicle with all the stuff for you.

Swap in the lower control arms and cvs for better camber,

Not quite that easy, you'll need to do something about their length otherwise your looking at about 15degrees negative camber, and even with camber adjuster like I installed you'll only get that to around 7-10degrees neg camber. You'll also need to get new caster/radius rods (I know you know all this Tom, but I'm saying it for the sake of readers.) The EA82 cars radius rods are the same as the EA81 cars, and if you put the EA82 control arms on you'll need about 3" longer on those rods. I cut the arms, so I only needed rods 2" longer because I changed the angle of the arm so it didn't get the wheel to far forwards which would cause CV problems and tyre rubbing. The EA82 drive shafts seem about 1.5" longer, so you may be able to use them with extended control arms, but I am not sure. I will have to try one as my inner DOJ's are a bit over extended...

Just remember, LSD's might of came in different cars in europe. I am pretty sure the XT4 turbos would have them (The nissan guys seem to think thats where to find them.) If the diff is in a car with both rear wheels, jack both sides and turn one wheel. If it's LSD it *should* turn the other wheel in the same direction. If it's open it should go the other direction.

Or you may see a silver sticker on the back that says "LSD 3.700" in blue.

The same car the LSD comes from should of also came with rear discs.. You may just need to look at every subaru you see. But most likely you'll only find those parts on Turbo'd subies..

Good luck, and I want to see some slideways action photo's once your done! :banana:

Not quite that easy, you'll need to do something about their length otherwise your looking at about 15degrees negative camber, and even with camber adjuster like I installed you'll only get that to around 7-10degrees neg camber. You'll also need to get new caster/radius rods (I know you know all this Tom, but I'm saying it for the sake of readers.) The EA82 cars radius rods are the same as the EA81 cars, and if you put the EA82 control arms on you'll need about 3" longer on those rods. I cut the arms, so I only needed rods 2" longer because I changed the angle of the arm so it didn't get the wheel to far forwards which would cause CV problems and tyre rubbing. The EA82 drive shafts seem about 1.5" longer, so you may be able to use them with extended control arms, but I am not sure. I will have to try one as my inner DOJ's are a bit over extended...

Just remember, LSD's might of came in different cars in europe. I am pretty sure the XT4 turbos would have them (The nissan guys seem to think thats where to find them.) If the diff is in a car with both rear wheels, jack both sides and turn one wheel. If it's LSD it *should* turn the other wheel in the same direction. If it's open it should go the other direction.

Or you may see a silver sticker on the back that says "LSD 3.700" in blue.

The same car the LSD comes from should of also came with rear discs.. You may just need to look at every subaru you see. But most likely you'll only find those parts on Turbo'd subies..

Good luck, and I want to see some slideways action photo's once your done! :banana:

sounds good, ive got a friend with a few old subies kicking about, i shall have to have a good scramble through what hes got, and are all suby LSD's viscous? or are some mechanical, as i hear that the viscous ones start to lose thier LSD effect after 60,000 and become alot like an open diff

oh, and dont worry, there should be plenty of sidways when im done, thats half the reason i want to do the swap :grin:

Any LSD in a EA82 car should be a Clutch pack like Matt was talking about. The Clutch packs do need rebuilds every so offen I have heard. And of cause, the more you use it, the more it needs rebuilds. The VLSD's (viscus) are better on wear as it uses the pressure of oil as friction to keep the wheels turning together. Not the friction of clutch friction plates which are some composite material of some type. So if you use the right oil and change it enough it will last a long time I reckon.

Clutch LSD's are normally much better in the way they don't slip as much. Offroad guys go for them because the VLSD's are pretty much useless. Although for fast driving the VLSD might be pretty good. You'll find the VLSD's in Legacy's, WRX's, and those kinda cars, but I am not sure which ones. Also at a point in 94(?) they change the diff to the female type, so the stubs are on the shafts, not the diff. This would make fitting one interesting as you would need custom rear driveshafts.

I don't think you can get a "mechanical" LSD for the rear of a subie, I think they are fronts only?

When I pulled the Liberty's (Legacy) gearbox apart I found a lot of gunk in the center VLSD's casing they looked like oil/metal soup.. So maybe these VLSD's do wear a lot. There was a lot of this gunk...

Were you planning on swapping the transmissions or just putting in a 3.70 rear diff with lsd? Thats bad juju, you'll bind the imortal crap out of your trans when you engage 4wd. If you want a 3.90 lsd rear diff you have two options:

1) turbo legacy from the early 90's with the lsd option

2) get a 3.70 lsd diff, and swap the lsd unit into your stock diff

lol, dont worry, ive checked, and i know what ratio i need, tis a 3.7, ive seen one for sale and it looks in good nick, around 60,000 on it, spose should do what i want it to, i e-mailed the kiddy asking him what ratio it was and would it fit into a brat, here was my anwser

It is whatever ratio you want it to be. I've removed the OE ring gear (which was for a 3.545 final drive), so all you have to do is swap the ring gear from your current differential (probably a 3.9) onto the LSD and install it.

As for installing it in a brat, I know they used R160 differentials, but I believe there's a nub inside the rear differential housing that has to be ground off to accommodate the LSD. You should ask here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org . They'll have the answer for sure.

is this so? tell us your thoughts, as this could get a bit interesting!

this diff is a datsun 510/R160 subaru LSD, avaliablity looks a bit more possible with the datsun avaliability, otherwise, Any one got one for sale that can be shipped to the uk? If you've also got everything else in my list, you could have a sale! (sorry, big writing was to grab the interest of anyone who can't be arsed to read the whole post!)

So this one you are looking at with the 3.545 ratio. It's from a datsun guy who changed the ratio to that from 3.7? Or is it from a later WRX with the 3.545 ratio and not a clutch pack LSD? Just make sure. If it is a R160 from a Subaru, then it should be pretty easy to change the ratio to what ever you want..