Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'03 OBW oil filter

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

I will soon have the first oil change done on my '03 H6 3.0 OBW.

I think I'd like to use the Purolater PureOne and was hoping someone here could tell me the part#. has anyone bought one, do the manuals indicate the correct filter, approximate price to expect (Texas) etc.

tia

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest Commuter

If it's the same as my friends 01 Outback VDC, it will be Purolator #14459. Most subies take the 14460. The 14460 is specific to Subaru. The only notable difference I know of is that the base plate is dished slightly outward on the 14460. Subaru's oil filter studs are a bit on the short side and the 14459's don't always catch sufficiently. It's base plate is dished slightly inward. I guess they addressed that issue with the new H6 engine.

The specific part number for the PureONE is PL14459.

Commuter

Guest spagemurray

Good filter and excellent on SAE multi pass test. Just don't use for 'extended drains' as they dont seem to handle it. Still filters are cheap I guess!

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

I suppose I'm making a bit of a compromise as I plan to run Mobil 1 with the PureOne filter for the book interval of 7500 miles(or twice a year - this is more likely and would probably mean a change at around 6K).

I know this will make some folks cringe but it is Mobil 1 and a decent filter (as near as I can determine from reading) and this vehicle will not be raced (anytime soon) and will be used for mixed driving in Texas (very few 'cold starts').

I just wanted to make sure about the part# as I read about the issue with some filters not engaging enough threads on the stud.

Thanx guys

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest meep424

we run 10000 miles on mobile 1, and the purolator filter. yea, should change the filter more often, but zero problems and no detectable loss of power in any of our cars. we put 70,000+ miles on our soob this way before selling it, 60,000 miles on a pathfinder, and have started this again with the minivan. I do use oversized filters now. tho. took a while, sitting on the floor with all these filters beside me to find same fittings, valving, etc. in a longer can...

Mike

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

Thanx Mike. I think I feel better about my decision.

This is a great group of folks here!

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest ibis315

Mike,

Which "larger" filter do you use? Which engine size do you have?

General question : does 2.5 and 3.0 engines use the same filters?

Guest Commuter

It depends on how you define "same".

If you look up FRAM or some other makes, they will just list one p/n for Subaru. Purolator makes a specific filter for the 2.5L engines due to the "short" stud as I mentioned. This is why some people run into problems with aftermarket filters. (I was one of those. My first engine was particularly short. The second not quite so bad. I solved my issue (because I wanted to use a particular aftermarket filter) by putting a spacer washer under the stud. Note - I am <strong>not</strong> recommending this to others. It is simply what I did.)

I've cut both Purolator numbers open and they looked the same except for tiny differences due to the difference in the backing plate. I've also cut the Subaru Purolator filter open and it looked the same, but lacked the drain back valve and had slightly different pleat count (few less if memory serves me). Also a different gasket. Of course, one cannot tell the quality or capability of the filter media itself just by looking at it.

The 2.5L H4 calls for the 14460.

The 3.0L H6 calls for the 14459.

I believe the SVX 3.3L H6 engine also specs the 14459. I don't know about the 2.7L H6 engine.

Commuter

Guest spagemurray

Carl the newish Mobil 1 Supersyn is a far superior oil to the previous Trisyn. Will look for the PL14460 PureONE for my OB. I use PureONE on my Mazda 626 turbo seems fine.

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

I don't have the recieipt with me but the PureOne filter was on the shelf at Pep Boys(I think Sears also carries them - again,I'm in Texas) and was not outrageous.\

Interesting to do 'reverse lookup' at the Purolator website. Seems the 14460 number is strictly Subaru (as if compensating for the short stud?) but the 14459 is all over the map! A LOT of Hondas use it! So, if anyone has found larger/better filter (it seems stubby and small for my 3.0) for a Honda - should work on the H6 too.

Looks like the the break in oil comes out and the M1 goes in this week - approx. 2K miles.

So far the car's great! CEL came on twice - probably gas cap at least once maybe both times - goes out after a few days - about half tank - don't know how many starts. Wonder how it determines when to clear itself?

Driving from D/FW area to Colorado Springs ina coupla' weeks. Hope I DON'T get to take advantage of Subaru's roadside assistance!

thanx guys

Carl

1 Lucky Texan