Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Member/Thinking of buying a Subaru questions

Howdy All,

I am looking at a '98 Forester with 170K. High miles to say the least, but the price is right and I just want it for driving around town and quick trips between Tucson and Phoenix (100 miles one way).

The vehicle was owned by retirees who drove the vehicle cross country from MA to AZ twice a year. They have a long list of maintenance records and the car is totally clean.

I'm wondering if knowledgeable Subaru owners can tell me about their experiences with high miles. I know at 170K just about anything can go wrong...but how many owners on this board have really high miles on the Foresters? What type of engine problems have you encountered? The vehicle has been maintained, is it possible for it go strong for another 50K?

I know these questions are pretty open-ended, but I'd love to hear some feedback from loyal Subaru owners. I've always driven Ford trucks, and I get rid of those at 100K every time, just to be safe :D

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Which motor is in it 2.2 or 2.5, I think both were offered in 98. When was the last time the timing belt was changed? My mom has a 98 legacy 2.2l with 169k on it, routine maintaince is the key to long life in anything. If it has been taken car of well then its probably just broken in for a subaru, imho.

I have seen one legacy we've oned go over the 300k mark, i'm swapping in a 217k mile old ej22 into my brat. Just bought a 91 turbo legacy with 178k. Subaru's have a long life span.

What's the price? Geographically I like it already!

Fluids clean/topped off

idles smooth

shifts normally/drives normally

no torque bind (drive in circle at idle)

no major leaks

no gunk under the rad cap or in the expansion tank

no smoke on cold start

timing belt replaced at 105k

if these conditions are met you WANT it!

What's the price

Hi guys...

Thew price is $3,950. The timing belt was changed, I do not know for sure when, but it was in the receipts. I believe the Forester L has the 2.5 liter engine, right? It is an auto tranny.

Thanks for the replies.