Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Dashboard BackLights Upgrade to H.I.D. White L.E.D.´s

To put Back the Four Vacuum Hoses for the A/C Control Buttons is Easy, because Subaru Marked each one with Numbers... #1, #2 and #4 ...No Number three! ... :D ... but the last one is unmarked, as the last Vacuum Plug, so No problem at all...

24-DashboardHoses1.jpg

...the Problem is to Keep them in Place, because with Age, those becomes Loose and the Tiny metallic plate that goes in their back, attached to the side's screws, isn't enough to keep 'em Hooked. So, I Used four tiny Zip ties, one for each hose and cutted their excess longitude with a scissors:

25-DashboardHoses2.jpg

That shall be More than enough ... ;) ...

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

As I wrote:

► You can see that the only part that has Green Tint painted on the instrument Cluster, is the Kilometers per Hour numbers, under the Miles per Hour numbers.

► I managed to Fix the Oil Pressure Gauge, just by sliding it slowly with my Finger, 'till it reached the Real "Top" of the readings, then it sat on the right 0 Mark, not under it as it was.

The Dimmer does work Fine with LED Bulbs. :D

Let me Know what do you think about this Mod...

Kind Regards.

Misspelled Word...

Really enjoyed reading this thread. Nicely documented. Thanks for making the extra effort to keep us appraised of the whole job and including the photos.

It looks great! :headbang:

I had the same problem with my oil pressure gauge and solved it the same as you did. Unfortunately, I have noticed that with mine, now, the readings always seem to be a bit low.

Still, it is better than the negative readings I was getting.

Really enjoyed reading this thread. Nicely documented. Thanks for making the extra effort to keep us appraised of the whole job and including the photos.

It looks great! ...

Thank you for your Kind Words. :)

... I had the same problem with my oil pressure gauge and solved it the same as you did. Unfortunately, I have noticed that with mine, now, the readings always seem to be a bit low...

Yes, Same here... I Believe that the Moment the Sender's cable did the Short Circuit that risen the Needle too much, something got stretched within the marker's resistance and then its readings are too low.

But I Agree that is Better to see the Gauge Low than to see "Negative" Readings.

Kind Regards.

Somehow I Believe that the Original Designers of this Instrument Cluster, desired that it looked with Great Contrast, white numbers over black background... but since the incandescent bulbs emit amber Light, they decided to paint the Numbers with a green tint, that the Newer clusters has.

The White illumination gives to the car a Much Modern Feeling, and is not Blinding at all, but Camera Lens tend to exagerate the Glow... also I can reduce the Brightness using the Dimmer control.

Misspelled Word, Fixed.

WOW very nice! ...

Thank You!

I'm Glad to know that my Ideas will Help other People to Improve their Subies. ;)

Looks great :headbang:, Did you need the replacement sockets? ...

No, I used the Original ones, by the way, those are "Toshiba" with their original "Toshiba" Bulbs, also the new ones has the same Brand.

About the LED Bulbs I used, let me Share some info and Links:

But there are two T-5 bulbs needed in the Dashboard, one for the "Lights" Button on the Left, and another one for the "Fan Speed" Button on the Right (Early EA82 Models) and that kind of Multiple LEDs T-5 bulb does a Short Circuit with the Surrounding metal ring, somehow...

So I Used a couple of Single LED T-5 Bulbs there, with inverted Tip, because those are all Plastic, like the ones pictured Below:

19-TBulbsComparison.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks! I wonder, I dont see a red or a blue alternative...

Would the like stained glass paint work? or do you think itd make the bulbs dim and not be any better than what Ive got now?

I Choosed White, However, there are more Colours to Choose, but Remember that only the Early EA82's clusters doesn't have the Green Tint painted, so in Green Clusters, other Colours than White and Green, should fight that green Tint with unpredictable results, but will Not look Not any Dim like the Standard incandescent Bulbs your Cluster already has.

Kind Regards.