Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Dashboard BackLights Upgrade to H.I.D. White L.E.D.´s

Continuing with the LED lights' Subject, Long years ago, I swapped the Front

corner lights on my "BumbleBeast" From incandescent 1156 Bulbs,

to "Super Bright" leds, with 28 led tips on each one ...

OneContactLightBulbsEvolution.jpg

...as you can see in this old post:

... So my Subie Have the Newer ones, the Multiple Leds Bulbs! :brow:

SideCornerLightswithLeds.jpg?t=122898814

Now, despite that those 28 Led's 1156 bulbs are still in good working order; 

I wanted to send 'em to the Reverse Lights' lamps, and upgrade the Fronts with This:

Samsung%207W%20omnidirectional%205000K%2

Also, along those LEDs, I received some T3 "Neo-Wedge" LEDs with built-in Resistor:

T3%20Neo%20Wedge.jpg

I placed one of those, next to a couple of Honduran coins, to give the size's idea.

My plan is to Complete the LED bulbs' Retrofitting, on the Switches that has T3 bulbs.

On the EA82 \ Third gen Leone / Loyale, the Power Mirrors' Switch, the Rear Gate Lock's Switch, the Rear Wiper's Switch, the Cruise Control Button on the Upper Dash, the Height Control Button, the Fog Lights' Button, etc... has a T3 incandescent bulb built-in, which Soon I'll be swapping with LEDs T3 "Neo-Wedge" and, as I pointed in Previous posts, those T3 LEDs can be used on the instrument cluster's Centerpiece, instead the incandescent Bulbs.

Kind Regards.

• 1 month later...

Regarding This:

It might be possible, but you have to remember that there is metal pins on the circuit board where those rubber mounts fit. those two holes under the rubber mount means two equal size metal pins about 10 mm long protruding from circuit board to keep those mounts in there ... I have been thinkin that it would be pretty easy to install leds by soldering them straight into the metal pins ... I think there ain't no straight fitting led bulb around for those small bulbs inside the centerpiece.

Yes I completely understand.

But what I meant, was that you can Remove the T3 LED Bulbs that already comes with built-in protective resistor, from their "Neo-Wedge" rubber base, by unwrapping their twisted legs, and then wrap those legs again, onto the Subaru's centerpiece's Rubber bases: Voilá! - Perfect Fitting.

Let me Show ya how that is done:

Disassemby%20-%20Assembly.jpg

I wanted to use a white LED instead the incandescent bulb, which came wrapped with a blue "Condom-Like" hood on the Dimmer Control of the "KiaStein" to match the Rest of the Dashboard & instrument Cluster's illumination...

T3%20amp%20T4%20together.jpg

so, I did the above-explained LED transplant, onto the incandescent Bulb's Rubber Base.

Dimmer%20Background%20illumination.jpg

Here you can see how the T-3 LED illuminates the Dimmer control:

Dimmer%20Working.jpg

Another Problem = Solved!

• Like 1

So, I bet that you can use those T-3 LEDs on the Centerpiece of the Subaru EA82 instrument cluster, without soldering anything, you only need to unwrap the incandescent mini Bulbs from their Rubber Bases, and wrap there, those T-3 LEDs with built-in Resistors, and thus will provide factory fitting, by reusing the rubber bases, but using modern up-to-date LED technology. thumbsup.gif

Kind Regards.

• 1 year later...

So whats your final bulb tally to replace all the bulbs?

I might as well replace all mine...

86 GL so I dont think I have the green tint...?

I have done this to my 1991 Loyale wagon and I love it. (only the T10 bulbs at this time) qty: 6x   T10 and 1x T5 total in the cluster.

I was surprised to find that after I removed the green cover from the bulb and reinserted the LEDs (yes they are directional)  when the Lights are on, the cluster is still very green.  It's white during the day time (no lights on).  I jsut bought an 1989 GL and I haven't opened the cluster yet. I still need to make it run first.

• Like 1

I just received this Loyale white gauge face kit in the mail and it looks great :D  I can't wait to see it at night with JesZek's LED mods.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-1992-Subaru-Loyale-Tach-Analog-Dash-Instrument-Cluster-White-Face-Gauges-/381685711779?fits=Make%3ASubaru&hash=item58de3dc3a3:g:Dr0AAOSwOVpXctKP

Edited by Crazyeights

you will need 4 l.e.d.s. on the back side of the dash there are 4 parts that twist out each holding a bulb. two are the color brown and two are black. i am including a web site that yo be able to find what l.e.d.s you would like just remeber they are 194 bulbs. www.superbrightleds.com

What sort of brightness would you suggest?

• 2 months later...

What sort of brightness would you suggest?

The Brightness gets controlled by the Dimmer knob, so that is not a problem.

I just received this Loyale white gauge face kit in the mail and it looks great   :D I can't wait to see it at night with JesZek's LED mods.

I've Never seen a White background on these Subies before

White%20Background.jpg

However the Gauges looks that went Below Zero readings after they were removed, I bet that they might get damaged during the removal procedure. Have you done this Background mod yet?

Kind Regards.

I just added the following information to my Writeup regarding the LED background illumination Retrofitting:

Important Note: the warning light for Low fuel, will stay lit all the time, if you use a LED bulb on it, not only in these Subarus' instrument clusters, but also on many other brands' cars on which I have done such Led background illumination retrofitting; I bet it has something to do with the grounding they have related with the Fuel Level Gauge, LED's are much sensitive and a slight grounding will lit 'em up, so I kindly suggest you to Avoid using a LED bulb for the low fuel warning light, keep it incandescent and it will work flawlessly.

The Writeup, plenty of Photos, is here: ~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/131336-led-retrofitting-on-instrument-cluster-dashboard-removal-procedures/

Kind Regards.

I meant to put this up a while back. Thought I would share

Half green and half white led

https://www.flickr.com/gp/143699084@N07/r191Ut

Green Led full

edit link:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/143699084@N07/X7NqCD

The pictures do not do it justice. The Green was a little overwhelming till I got used it. Hopefull the links will work.

Shout out to Loyale 2.7 Turbo!!!

Edited by superpoo93

... Shout out to Loyale 2.7 Turbo!!!

Thank you so much for sharing these Photos. 

You only need to be logged-in to your Yahoo! account, to see them...

... Half green and half white led

https://www.flickr.com/gp/143699084@N07/r191Ut

Green Led full

edit link:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/143699084@N07/X7NqCD

It is a good idea to have a Half Green and a Half White, LED illumination, on the same instrument Cluster, for comparison purposes. Good Job! Thumbup.jpg

The White LED illumination on Green tinted Cluster, looks like to be Easier on the eyes of the Driver, but the green looks like an off-colour; However, the pretty Deep Green achieved by using Green LEDs on Green tinted Cluster, is really interesting, and should look Better in Person.

... The pictures do not do it justice ...

Seems like the iPhone 5 did not bear in a good way the Contrast, I wrote certain advices to make better Photos from such things like instrument clusters by Night, in case you're interested in reading and see a couple of photos, look ~► Here.

Thank you for Sharing your Retrofitting job, it looks very Good!

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

... What did I do wrong!! ...

Besides on my Writeup, I wrote this information two times on this mere thread before, at different dates:

... LED Bulbs does have Polarity (+/-) if they are placed inverted, they will not lit at all, so if your New LED Bulbs doesn't work, simple remove 'em with their Socket, turn the Socket 180º (Half Turn) and place 'em again... then they'll Lit ...

Remember that LED Bulbs does Have Polarity (+/-So, if they doesn't Lit, Remove their Socket from the Instrument Cluster, Turn it 180º and place it there again.

So, I believe that you placed them with inverted Polarity. (+/-)

Remove 'em with their sockets, flip 'em 180º and reinstall 'em on the instrument Cluster.

That should make 'em to lit as they should. Let us know the Results.

Kind Regards.

Just to reiterate what L2.7T has said, the LED is not a light bulb. It is a diode (Light Emitting Diode) meaning that the polarity matters. In a regular incandescent bulb it does not matter which connection gets the positive versus the negative. In an LED it is critical.

Swapping an LED into another socket doesn't guarantee you haven't also reversed the polarity on the new socket as well.

Please review the link below for more information.

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/diodes.html

You might try putting one of the original bulbs into a socket where the LED appears not to work. This will tell if you are getting power there or not.

Edited by MR_Loyale
  • Like 1

Also, I kindly suggest you to verify the Fitting of the LED on the Socket, as these things might being happening:

One is the fact that some leds have their contacts as mini metallic rods that are simply lying over the Plastic base, and those contacts might be moved during the LED placement on the Socket, and not doing proper contact with the Base.

Other thing is that the mere Socket could be Rusty and not transferring the electricity as they should, from the instrument cluster, to the LED contacts.

Third thing is that the LED's might be Bad from factory.

So, you should verify if the LED do Lit OUTSIDE the instrument cluster, by giving Power directly to each Socket with LED.

Kind Regards..

Haven't tried yet just running without them till I have time.

Weird issue is my interior lights aren't working now... Two map lights won't go on no matter what bulbs I'm using. Must be something weird in the wiring. Dome light also won't come on unless the door is open.

Pop the cover off the dome light (twist and pull) and look at the switch. The switch completes the circuit by bringing one side to ground. The fact that the light dome light comes on when the door is opened indicates the power is reaching the dome light. Did you put an LED in the dome light as well? You may have knocked out a contact in the process. The lights in the dash have nothing to do with the dome light.