Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Dashboard BackLights Upgrade to H.I.D. White L.E.D.´s

Yeah I know. I'm just wondering maybe I acrewed up a power or ground in the swap. I have the cover off and the assembly looks fine which is why I'm confused.

I Kindly suggest you to verify the health of every and each Pin on both connector's sides: at the wiring Plugs and instrument Cluster, because one or more might be bent.

Kind Regards.

• 3 months later...

As I wrote:

► You can see that the only part that has Green Tint painted on the instrument Cluster, is the Kilometers per Hour numbers, under the Miles per Hour numbers.

► I managed to Fix the Oil Pressure Gauge, just by sliding it slowly with my Finger, 'till it reached the Real "Top" of the readings, then it sat on the right 0 Mark, not under it as it was.

The Dimmer does work Fine with LED Bulbs. :D

Let me Know what do you think about this Mod...

Kind Regards.

Hello, I know this is a years old topic now, but I was curious about your fix for the oil pressure gauge.  Mine is doing the same thing as yours was it's reading below the zero mark.  Sometimes it will jump up when I start the car all the way up then will just go all the way back down again.  When you say you fixed yours by just moving it with you hand did it start to read on the gauge then?  I have the ability to source a new left side for my instrument cluster, but I'm wondering now after reading your post if that is necessary. Thank you for reading.  

Also really excited to do the LED mod on my dash! ordering lights this weekend and hopefully installing before I go back to school in march.

TJ

Edited by YnotDIY

• 1 month later...

Hello, I know this is a years old topic now, but I was curious about your fix for the oil pressure gauge.  Mine is doing the same thing as yours was it's reading below the zero mark.  Sometimes it will jump up when I start the car all the way up then will just go all the way back down again...

The "Fix" really lies in isolating Properly the wire, that goes from the oil pump's sender to the oil pressure gauge, as what really damages the gauge, are those grounding short circuits, which occurs when such wire touches the bare metal, making what you described, which I highlighted above; that stretches the gauge and makes it to read below zero.

As I wrote above, I only slided it gently, with my finger, above mark, farther from its usual end, in order to raise the needle from below the Zero mark; however, despite it now sits at the zero mark, it doesn't read the pressure as it should, because it is stretched by the short circuits; now it only travels ~ 66% from the total travel (2/3) making it to read even lower than it should be.

Yes, a new gauge will fix that low reading issue, but it will get damaged too, if you don't address and fix the root of the problem: the grounding short circuits on the wire, described above.

Don't forget to share Photos of your LED retrofitted instrument cluster, with us, in this thread.

Kind Regards.

• 1 month later...

I've been retrofitting LED illumination on instrument Clusters, from various cars, successfully (thanks to God) since years ago, starting with my Subaru... Let me show you some examples:

From This:

RangerCluster1.jpg

To This:

RangerCluster7.jpg

Our "KiaStein" already with LED illumination:

14TableroNuevoListo.jpg

My Subaru "BumbleBeast" already with LED illumination:

27-LedCluster2.jpg

So, the Owner of a Hyundai Galloper touring wagon turbo diesel, who is a local Friend, asked me to do the LED background illumination retrofitting, on his car, and of course I did it, but such a retrofitting requires that the instrument Cluster, comes with a Dimmer control, in order to reduce the Bright from the LEDs after the Retrofitting, and the Hyundai Galloper doesn't have a Dimmer Knob for his instrument Cluster...

• Like 1

So, I faced two challenges in order to comply with this Commitment:

To obtain enough T-6.5 LED bulbs.

To find a way to Retrofit a Dimmer control on the Galloper.

In the past, I obtained a couple of those LED bulbs in T-6.5 size, from an online supplier, because the Kia's instrument Cluster uses two of them, one for background illumination of the Odometer / Tripmeter, and the other is for the Low fuel Warning light. This last one I left with incandescent bulb, as the sensitivity of the LED will make it permantly Lit on that Spot.

So, I contacted again the online Supplier, and he sent me a Bunch of those rare T-6.5 LEDs in multi tip fashion, for better illumination pattern, see:

LED%206.5T%20Bulbs.jpg

So, the First Challenge was sorted outthumbsup-1.jpg

Important Note: I am adding this information here, because it could be Helpful for those people, who wants to do the LED illumination retrofitting, on cars that Lacks a Dimmer control module, so here you can learn how to Retrofit one, prior to do the LED conversion.

The second challenge, was to retrofit a Dimmer control unit for the illumination of the instrument Cluster on the Hyundai Galloper, as it never came with such feature from Factory; I decided to go in the route of what I know the Most: Subaru.

Firstly, I obtained a Dimmer control unit, out from a Subaru Loyale from the early 1990's decade, it was like new and its three wire design, makes it easy to use. Then I searched for a suitable spot to place it on the Hyundai Galloper's dashboard, and I found it, easy to reach from the driver's seat, even while driving.

Here you can see the Subaru's Dimmer control unit, already placed on a Hyundai Galloper's plastic cover that came out from its dashboard:

Subaru%20Dimmer.jpg

Here you can see the Placement for it, already in Place, back on the Dashboard:

Dimmer%20Knob%20installed.jpg

The placement is low, next to the steering column, but works Good.

So, the Second Challenge was also Sorted Out.  :) 

• Like 1

When I obtained the Subaru Loyale's Dimmer control unit, also I obtained its Plug with wiring; so next I had to search among the wires on the Hyundai Galloper, to find which ones delivers power 12V (+) for the background illumination, to cut and splice them, in order to Solder the Subaru's plug on them as a detour for that power, to the Dimmer control unit.

Cable.jpg

The Subaru's Dimmer control, has three wires, two are of the same colour and are the Power input (low and high) from the Car's wiring, and the other wire which has another colour, is the Power output, that goes to the instrument Cluster.

I simply connected Both same colour wires from the Dimmer control, to the power output wire that has the power for the instrument Cluster's illumination, on the Car; and the Output from the Dimmer control went connected to the instrument Cluster's input wire... Voilá! 
... haha.gif ... Works Perfectly!

• Like 1

Despite that my camera is not good at taking Videos under low light conditions, I made one; but it is not Worth to be shared here as Video, so I've edited it, and turned it to an Animation, that shows you how the Subaru's Dimmer control, works Flawlessly on the Hyundai; See:

Galloper%20instrument%20cluster%20dimmer

I hope these ideas be Helpful.
Greetings from the Caribbean, Honduras.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

IDK if anyone is still around but I wanted to say that, years later, these great write-ups by Loyale 2.7 T are still helping people. I followed his writeup for the Weber swap with the Transdapt 2107, and just now followed his writeup on how to get the dash out because I have a bad headlight switch in my 86 GL 4wd Wagon. Thanks!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...