Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new tires for my wagon

I am at the point where I need new tires on my '92 Legacy Touring Wagon. What are your opinions on good all-season tires? I am not looking to spend a lot of money and need good snow traction without snow tires. Do I replace all 4 at once? Any other tire tips? BTW my new fuel pump did the trick. Hope I didn't spend a lot of money for a simple connector problem!

You might ask in the legacy forum....

I know your not looking to spend a lot, but these guys make probably some of the best all-season tires in the world. You probably don't want to spend $180+ per tire, but they are cool to drool over (the company is in Iceland):

http://www.nokiantyres.com/

Oh - and don't forget to watch their commercials:

http://nokian.verstas.com/index.php?page=imagebank.php?keywords=spot%20mainos%20englanti

They are awsome in the snow - they were designed for it. And are in the top 10% of the best dry pavement summer tires too. Really amazing.

GD

The best all-round all-season tire in My opinion is from Les Schwab. It is the Toyo Spectrum touring radial. They are an excellent rain tire. They perform well in all weather extremes as well.

Your tire size s/b 195/60R15. Here's a link to the tire and their website. Link

taller, skinnier tires will work the best in snow. try a 175/70-75 (auto 3.7 gear) or 185/70 or 75 series(if its a 5spd dual range 3.9 gear)

60's will be wider in proportion than 70 series. wider tires will want to slide around more on snow

your choice of tread, but skinny for snow/mud

my 2 cents

Back again and reviewing your suggestions. I currently have Toyo 800 Ultra 205/60/R15 on them now. I bought the car in May with those tires so don't know how old they are or anything about them. No records came with the car. It is a '92 Legacy Touring Wagon, turbo. I drive mostly city, to and from work, around town, lots of stop and go. Very little highway except a once a year 3000 mile trip. We just had an inch of snow yesterday so I'll see how much traction I have when I drive to work today. I had never heard of Toyo before. I'll keep watching your suggestions. Thanks!

I'm quite partial to the Hakki's (from Nokia) but I've driven on the Toyo Observe also and it too is quite good. Price for the Hakki's in a 14" size recently came to $420 for the set of four with all the extra charges and tax. This was for the all season tires listed on their website and not the Q series which are specifically for the winter season. Miles is correct about the fact that taller, skinnier tires work better in deep snow.