Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I don't know the fair repair prices in your area...I used to live up near there over 10 years ago, and I'm sure things have changed. However, I'm sure you could go around and get some estimates on your repair and get a better price than the dealer. Try this site to find Subaru repair shops in your area and maybe you can get a quality repair and a fair price:

http://cartalk.cars.com/About/Garage/intro.html

This site is the Car Talk guys that are on NPR every week.

There is a total rebuild kit from Subaru that updates your transmission tailshaft with a steel liner which will likely prevent this problem from every occuring again. It should cost anywhere from $750 to $1000 installed.

See this link for more information.

It is not actually a big or difficult job, as the tailshaft of the transmission just has to come off, not the whole transmission.

You could just have a sticky clutch pack, did the dealer try doing several dozen tight turns to free up the clutch pack, or is there a Check Engine Light indicating a problem with the solenoid?

The torque bind problem plagues all pre-1998 Subaru's usually starting to affect them at about 100,000 miles or so.

I am assuming that the dealer also checked tires to insure that they are all the same size (within 1/4 inch of each other IN CIRCUMFERENCE according to Subaru), and other possible causes such as driveshaft hanger bearing and U joints....

The Car Talk Guys boards are full of misinformation about Subaru's so I don't recommend it. For example they indicate that a ticking noise in cold weather on a 98 Outback is related to defective hydraulic valve lifts, but from 97 onward all Subaru's are SOLID valve lifters (the ticking is most likely piston slap). I have seen many misdiagnoses by these guys relating to Subaru specific problems such as torque bind and wheel bearings (where the problem seemed to be a wheel bearing but they pointed elsewhere). All they see are generally incomplete descriptions from the car owners, and have to make a judgement call and do not know all vehicles inside out, so I can't really fault them, I just don't recommend them.

Thanks for the advice! Dealership did not perform any of the tests you spoke about or look for anything else which might be causing the problem. They simply test drove it and made the diagnosis based upon a clutch pack replacement they had recently performed for another car.