Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1988 gl camber ajustment. ea82

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 del

del

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • yakima

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:06 PM

The newer subaru strut assemblies have a way to adjust camber. Is there a way to just bring the struts to the car, and not the rotors and hubs? Although the part that the strut bolts to, and the bearings are in will have to come with the strut.

thanks del

ps I like my current 4wheel disc brake set up with six lugs and 14" wheels. Would prefer to ware out my tires evenly, not to mention it handles better with the camber in order. I am planning a 4" lift in front.

1988 GL station wagon
non turbo 5sp dr

#2 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:57 PM

short version....no

in order to get the camber adjustment, you need the struts AND knuckles. and EA hubs and axles aren't compatible with EJ knuckles, baccaruda got his XT6 calipers to bolt to his legacy knuckles...but IIRC it took alot of fabrication.

the easier way, would be to modify the control arm (or the point where it bolts to the crossmember) to push the bottom of the knuckle out slightly. of course, then you'll run a slightly higher risk of over-extending the front axles....

#3 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 06 March 2007 - 06:52 PM

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=69643

Read page 4 for the camber adjusters I made. These would work on EA82's as well.

#4 del

del

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • yakima

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:48 PM

thanks guys:cool:

guess it is time to modify my extra crossmember and build a lift. Having a parts car comes in handy.

del

#5 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:04 PM

guess it is time to modify my extra crossmember and build a lift.

Be warned. If you want to do the kinda camber kit I done, drilling a huge hole in the engine crossmember IS a nightmare.. Took my brother and I at least 30mins of drilling and about 2 hours for drinks and catching our breath while the drill cooled down to get all 4 holes.
It might be different if you can have the crossmember out and use a drill press...

#6 del

del

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • yakima

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:40 PM

Since the parts car this crossmember is in has no engine should be easy enough to take out and use the drill press, or could a torch take it out? It appears the arm is now not dependent on this for centering (the cam is now doing this job).

del

#7 del

del

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • yakima

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:41 PM

Since the parts this crossmember is in has no engine should be easy enough to take out and use the drill press, or could a torch take it out? It appears the arm is now not dependent on this for centering (the cam is now doing this job).

del

#8 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:37 AM

Hmm, I rought hole torched through may work. I haven't giving that any thought. The bits that are welded to the crossmember will take most of the impacts then. The drill bit didn't leave a nice sight, I had to do a bit of cleaning up with a file afterwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users