Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

borrow tools for free

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,872 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 22 November 2003 - 04:04 PM

I was in my local AutoZone today here in Connecticut and saw a sign indicating that you could borrow certain tools for free! A short listing of these tools include various AC clutch pullers and installers, clutch pilot bearing tool, exhaust pipe spreaders and cutters, oxygen sensor socket, a variety of gear pullers, torque wrench, brake caliper tool (for turning it in), 30-36mm sockets and ball joint press tools to name a few. There were approx. 60 tools in all but some specified for Ford, GM etc..

#2 Nug

Nug

Lurker/off-topic poster

• Members
  • 1,966 posts
  • West Point

Posted 22 November 2003 - 06:32 PM

Generally, you put a deposit down, and when you return it, you get it back. Great for things that you don't use real often, like GM power steering pulley remover/installer.

#3 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 22 November 2003 - 06:48 PM

Canadian Tire store offers the same service.

#4 alias20035

alias20035

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Canada

Posted 22 November 2003 - 09:40 PM

Originally posted by frag
Canadian Tire store offers the same service.

Canadian Tire store in western Canada and Northern Ontario (where I am now) do not loan tools anymore (if they ever did). When I lived in Montreal though, I found that the Kirkland supersize Canadian Tire never had the tools that I needed... And they would not take tool reservations...

I have borrowed tools from Partsource in Alberta which is Canadian Tire's standalone auto parts store.

I think Pepboy's in the US also loans tools.... It is a fairly common practice.

#5 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 23 November 2003 - 10:26 AM

Right for no reservation.
But in Montreal, at the store near where I live, they almost always have a full selection of loaners.

#6 Commuter

Commuter

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • Niagara area, Ont Canada

Posted 23 November 2003 - 10:47 AM

I've seen tool loan signs in the Canadian Tire stores where I live (Toronto). I don't know how the program works, or if it is a store by store thing. I've never made use of it (yet).

Commuter

#7 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 23 November 2003 - 11:46 AM

Inquired recently about a spring compressor to remove and install springs on struts (will be doing this on my car). They had three available.
Same system Snotrocket wrote about: you pay for it and they give you back your money when you bring it back. No need to buy the parts there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users