Ultimate Subaru Message Board

legacy pully same as xt6 pully?

no, not the same. i'll likely be sourcing aluminum pulleys for the XT6. if you're interested i'll do it now. there are none for the XT6, they'll have to be custom made.

yeah i'm interested. but make sure it doesnt have a bad effect on the car.

all i know gets more torque and power at the wheels

yeah i'm interested. but make sure it doesnt have a bad effect on the car.

all i know gets more torque and power at the wheels

Not entirely true. Lightening the driveline reduces the rotating mass. Less rotating mass means it makes better use of what it has. You'll still make the same power it just won't be taking as much to spin the acc. stuff. Also look into a lighter flywheel and lighter wheels.

..allright, this is a topic of conversation that came up between my brother, my uncle, and myself earlier this week...

MY understanding is, horsepower is simply a function of torque, and Torque is the power you have.. horsepower is simply how readily accessible that power is... THAT being the case, then lightening rotating mass of the engine/driveline would increase horsepower, but only within the confinces of the amount of torque you have.. and it does nothing to effect that torque.. (ie, no change in ft-lb numbers)

Am I not right? I am trying to understand it as much as anything else, because according to my understanding of what horsepower actually IS, my statements follow logically (at least as far as I can tell...)

Horsepower is simply a measure of the power your car makes. Its not entirely measurable, however, torque is measurable easily.

HP is a function of torque and rotational speed.

In American units:

HP = torque*rpm/5252

HP is what you want. Its what makes your car go. This is why race cars rev so high. You can make lots of HP with relatively little torque. This is also why diesels have massive torque, but low HP in comparison to a gasoline car, they just don't rev so high.

Torque is all nice and dandy, but its the HP that makes your car accelerate.