Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale 5 Spd shifter rattle, repair! HELP!

Hi ALL!

I have the typical Loyale 5 speed shifter problem! It rattles while you drive, you have to be carefull shifting, it's not "positive" shifting it anymore. I've had this "fixed" once B 4! It's here again! What's with this shifting ball, bushing problem!! IS there a "kit", you can get to take care of this because it's so typical!??

THX, SubeeTed

Probably just some nylon bushings on the shifter - get em from the dealer. Shouldn't cost more than a couple bucks. Do you rest your hand on the shifter while it's in gear? That is one cause of premature failure on these parts. Pressure from you hand causes the vibration to wear the parts quicker - just like pushing harder on a palm sander. It also wears out the syncro's in your tranny. Very bad habit if you do that.

GD

the shifter itself fits into a ball joint, sometimes they pop out.

when mine pops out, i center it up, and guve agood WHACK! with the palm of my hand to pop it back in. but i dont have a center console.......

i dont know of any replacement parts, other than the junkyard

i have installed a 5spd in my automatic sedan, the shifter was all worn out. i used some 3/8 hose for the bushings, worked rather well.