Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Help On Passing Smog for 84GL

Have a 84 gl with 300,000 miles on it and need some hints on passing the smog test in California.

should I install some hotter plugs? I am already changing the cap and rotor, changing the air filter and oil.

is there a good "smog pass' additive that really works?

appreciate any tips.

Thanks

check over the first two or three pages of posts here, someone just used Xylene to pass HC emissions in Cali, but I always recommend using Denatured Alcohol. Run your tank almost dry (have a little gas in a can Just In Case) then pour a gallon of denatured alcohol from Home Depot in, take her for a good hot run just before the test, and your HC emissions should be reduced by about 90%. Get out of the emissions check and go fill up your tank with old fashioned dino-fuel, and you should be kosher.

check over the first two or three pages of posts here, someone just used Xylene to pass HC emissions in Cali, but I always recommend using Denatured Alcohol. Run your tank almost dry (have a little gas in a can Just In Case) then pour a gallon of denatured alcohol from Home Depot in, take her for a good hot run just before the test, and your HC emissions should be reduced by about 90%. Get out of the emissions check and go fill up your tank with old fashioned dino-fuel, and you should be kosher.

Thank you very much.