Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81T Randomly Quits

I went out to my car last night to start. The car would not start. It would sit there and crank, and crank, but no start. Had a really strong smell of fuel.

Came out the next morning to start it. Still no go and still a fuel smell. Pulled out the fuse to the ECU and cranked it to clear the fuel. Put the fuse back in, and it started right back up. Drove just fine. Went to the junkyard, got a couple parts, then came back home.

Started it later, drove for about 2 blocks then died. Again, strong smell of fuel and wouldn't start. Pulled the ECU fuse, cranked it, put the fuse back in, and it started right up.

Any clues?

How's the fuel mileage Mike? Sounds like something with the fuel system is not funtioning properly. Running too rich will cause the dying issue. Sounds like either the fuel injector is stuck open, the fuel pressure regulator is bunked and letting too much fuel in, or the fuel pump might have an issue.

The other idea is since this is an eletrical disty, you might be having an issue with it as well. Just a few things to check out.

The mileage sucks, like all the other 3AT EA81Ts out there. About 24mpg highway if I keep out of the turbo. Any easy way to tell if a fuel injector is stuck open or what not?

Also, any easy way to diagnose an electrical disty? Not like there's many EA81Ts that I can swap parts from...

Someone wanna trade for a Legacy? I'm so burned out on this car. I do have all the parts for a 4spd swap now though (minus the interior bits) :D

More to this crappy ness. Went out 5 minutes ago to try and start it... no go. Couldn't get it start at all.

I could hear the fuel pump randomly cycling on and off, and the ECS light started to flicker... Perhaps the ECU is a piece of crap.

Next time it plays up, take the ignition wire off the disty and place it near an earth, and crank it... see if there is a spark. If it turns out that its the ignition module, you can get one off an '85 or '86 ea82t.

I would recommend splicing a fuel pressure gauge into the rail somewhere so that you can watch your fuel pressure... if an injector is sticking open, it should have an impact on the fuel pressure, wouldn't it?

Do the EA81T fuel pumps have anything like the dampener pot ion the fuel pump, like the one on the EA82 that is prone to rustification??? I am talking about the one that sits RIGHT on the pump outlet, right there on the shelf with the pump under the car....

me == pretty ign'int about the pushrod engines, especially the turbocharged ones, but im tryin to brainstorm anyhow... good luck, and don't neglect to check for spark too..

pull your plugs... If one is gooey, its an injector... if all are it could be a ruptured regulator...

Also do check that ignitor ground wire thingy under the dizzy.. I cannot remember if I had Noss replace it on that car or the 86, but thats also kinda prone to breaking but doesn't explain why the car would not start after the ECU reset.

My vote is for a leaky injector... could find out which fuse(in the box) goes to the pump and pull it to shut the car off and see if that solves the problem... Second Gen RX-7's had such an injector issue that someone that owned my vert put in a switch that killed the fuel pump that you had to use to shut down the car, other wise it was a %$^#$ to start after you shut it down...