Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3EAT vacuum doohickey ????

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:50 AM

so I was regrounding the engine bay of the EA81T coupe with 3EAT trans and I found a vacuum hose that went to nowhere... it comes off of the top center of the trans, right above the governor and the hose is about a foot and a half long with a couple of formed bends, roughly 1/4" inner diameter..
I couldn't find it explicitly mentioned in my 84 FSM nor in a search here.. anybody smarter than I am?? thanks!
Asny

#2 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:52 AM

IIRC it's a vent hose for the front diff

#3 wesley willis

wesley willis

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • port alberni, bc, canada

Posted 11 March 2007 - 04:01 AM

yep. that's the diff vent. i recall asking this question a while back after finding one on my hatch.

#4 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:13 PM

where's the other end supposed to go? j/k
thanks!

#5 psylosyfer

psylosyfer

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Northern Ca.

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:31 AM

The other end stays open to allow venting, But originally it would be secured somewhere to keep immobile and not flop around where it shouldn't be, Usually they use a few clamps/ties, And just secure them down the side of the tranny or diff. Secure it anywhere it will be safe from heat/ moving parts and not kinked. Pointing generally downward (my guess is they point them down to help prevent stuff going in). Exact routing is not critical. It's only there to keep pressure equal in and out of the case (from temperature and or altitude changes) this could cause seals to leak/fail. And a hole without the hose would be vulnerable to contamination getting in, or plugging with grime.

#6 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,861 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:23 PM

Andy, its a 3AT... mechanical 3 speed auto. The 4-speed auto is a 4EAT because its electrically controlled:-p

#7 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,106 posts
  • WA

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:30 PM

where's the other end supposed to go? j/k
thanks!

psylosyfer

The other end stays open to allow venting, But originally it would be secured somewhere to keep immobile and not flop around where it shouldn't be, Usually they use a few clamps/ties, And just secure them down the side of the tranny or diff. Secure it anywhere it will be safe from heat/ moving parts and not kinked. Pointing generally downward (my guess is they point them down to help prevent stuff going in). Exact routing is not critical. It's only there to keep pressure equal in and out of the case (from temperature and or altitude changes) this could cause seals to leak/fail. And a hole without the hose would be vulnerable to contamination getting in, or plugging with grime.

Yup, we tend to follow the K.I.S.S. principals around here;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users