Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3EAT vacuum doohickey ????

so I was regrounding the engine bay of the EA81T coupe with 3EAT trans and I found a vacuum hose that went to nowhere... it comes off of the top center of the trans, right above the governor and the hose is about a foot and a half long with a couple of formed bends, roughly 1/4" inner diameter..

I couldn't find it explicitly mentioned in my 84 FSM nor in a search here.. anybody smarter than I am?? thanks!

Asny

• 2 weeks later...

The other end stays open to allow venting, But originally it would be secured somewhere to keep immobile and not flop around where it shouldn't be, Usually they use a few clamps/ties, And just secure them down the side of the tranny or diff. Secure it anywhere it will be safe from heat/ moving parts and not kinked. Pointing generally downward (my guess is they point them down to help prevent stuff going in). Exact routing is not critical. It's only there to keep pressure equal in and out of the case (from temperature and or altitude changes) this could cause seals to leak/fail. And a hole without the hose would be vulnerable to contamination getting in, or plugging with grime.

where's the other end supposed to go? j/k

thanks!

psylosyfer

The other end stays open to allow venting, But originally it would be secured somewhere to keep immobile and not flop around where it shouldn't be, Usually they use a few clamps/ties, And just secure them down the side of the tranny or diff. Secure it anywhere it will be safe from heat/ moving parts and not kinked. Pointing generally downward (my guess is they point them down to help prevent stuff going in). Exact routing is not critical. It's only there to keep pressure equal in and out of the case (from temperature and or altitude changes) this could cause seals to leak/fail. And a hole without the hose would be vulnerable to contamination getting in, or plugging with grime.

Yup, we tend to follow the K.I.S.S. principals around here;)