Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok, I been read about the EJ22 swap

palidocaballo

I've been read about a swap. Most folks seem to go with the 22 which would be fantastic but.... I have a 93 Loyale and I cant help but think that the ea motor is not a lost cause. I'd like to hear from u guys on

#1 Bolt in loyale motors.

#2 how much can i squeeze out of the ea

#3 What mod will bring the ea up to snuff.

Thanks in advance u guys. I just want to see what i cant do without fabing axels and crossmembers. I dont have a garage, just an apartment parking lot

This should really be in the older gen forum, or retrofitting. To be quite honest the most reliable most powerful and cheapest motor to maintain that you can put into your loyale is to ej22. There are people on here that are getting good stuff from the ea82T but that would actually be more work and less reliable than an ej swap. And not to mention you'd still be down on power, and have the dumb two timing belt design, and head gasket issues.

Depending on how much money you have to play with. You can go the ej20g route. They are selling for about 800-1000 these days and worth every penny.

EA82's are great, but for only their long lasting ability. You'll notice you'll get a lot of, don't both, it's not worth it. And that's because it really isn't.

If you add boost to that motor, it won't last long. If you put a EA82t in, you may as well go with a EJ22 because it's near the same work.

You already have all the parts like the SPFI and SPFI 9.5 to 1 compression. So really there are no other parts from other Subaru's that will be bolt in upgrades.

Sorry to say this, but your motor is pretty much the best it can get. You may want to think about a new coil, in leads, new plugs, fuel injector cleaner, and those general tune up things.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to say this, but your motor is pretty much the best it can get. You may want to think about a new coil, in leads, new plugs, fuel injector cleaner, and those general tune up things.

Ditto.

I've been working on EA82s for a while now, and they are great motors that are reliable, reasonably peppy for their size, and long-lasting in stock form if they are maintained. However, I've seen too many people blow them up doing relatively minor modifications to ever want to do that myself. The EJ22 is the best engine Subaru has ever made in my opinion, and it improves upon the EA82 in every aspect. If you're looking for all-out power and willing to spend a few extra bucks while (in my opinion)losing a little reliability, an EJ20G is where it's at.

Don't get me wrong, I love the EA82. I have the belief that engines are best used for what they were intended to do, and the EA82 was never intended to be a powerful engine.