Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where can I get freezeplugs? EA81

So I noticed today while I was under my RX stripping the last few parts outta it, something laying on my shop floor. I get out and pick up said object and was like "Hmm, this looks like a freeze plug..." Looked at one heads from my EA81 hydrolifter that I'm resealing and noticed that there was one missing from this head. Looked at the other side and 2 are missing... sonofa*****. I've heard these can be a pain to find since they are metric so where can I get a half dozen of them? If I'm going to replace one,might as well replace them all... I need then ASAP too......

Dealership here is a no go. Just a bunch of retards working behind a counter. I've had mucho trouble with them getting me the right parts for my RX so I think that it wouldn't be very easy to even *remember* what an old Subaru looks like, let alone parts. No specialty nuts-n-bolts place big enough here to carry anything like that either.

Paul, expanding rubber type? I'm not sure on what those are...

Machince shops around here... I think there's one and they do domestic. They *might* have done some import but I highly doubt that they would have something like this laying around.

So my next question... would heads from a solid lifter EA81 work on a hydrolifter block? I know the pushrods are different and the valves are smaller but I have everything from the hydrolifter block and everything from the solid lifter block....

well unfortunatly, I can't wait a week to get them which kinda sucks. So here's the plan....

EA81 hydrolifter block

EA81 solid lifter heads (valves, and springs)

hydro rockers and pushrods

Hopefully this setup will work! I've got the EA82 powersteering setup on it now so when I drop it into the car, it should be workable. Then drop in my modded disty and the SPFI that is stock in my coupe, slap it on a turbo EA82 crossmember, RX tranny, full 5-lug and away I go!:headbang:

Hey dingleballs, the guys at Laramie Machine are friendly, and they know their stuff, so I bet they'd know where to get them from. I know I had 2 left over from when I did that motor in that 83 hatchback but for the life of me I have NO idea where they are at, but I can have a look @ my folks house tomorrow afternoon. You should be OK with what you said about mix-matching parts, since as far as I remember the big difference is the hydraulic lifters and the oil passages and such for them.

I've heard that the rocker assemblies are the same just the hydro lifter motors had the locking tabs on the ajusting nuts. I have no idea about this, but swapping parts around you might want to find out how to set zero lash on those rockers for optimum performance.

Keep in mind though that the solid liftter EA81 heads have smaller valves! Isn't there an EA81 up @ Tech you can rob the heads off of? I MIGHT have a set of EA81 heads, I'm actually prettty sure I do, SEND ME MY DAMN PARTS and I'll send 'em to ya, make me an offer.

if I recall I got you those freeze plugs at my old mechanic in The Dalles Andrew. Sorry Russ I think Andrew got the last of em. They were NOS when we grabbed em and the guy has retired and lives in AZ or something now :-\

Yeah I was gonna try and catch you online but no such luck. I kinda remember something along the lines of you giving him some freeze plugs waaay back when I started hanging out with him. They were for my first Subaru, '83 2wd hatch....

So I'm going to go with the solid lifter heads, hydro block, hydro pushrods and solid lifter rockers so I can have an adjustment without hassle if I ever need it. I found out that my EA82 PS pump bracket isn't going to work due to it sticking out waaaay far (to clear the timing belts on the EA82) so I gotta go scavenge one off of the spare EA81T...

Russ,the expanding type might not be that good.You turn a bolt head and it causes the rubber to expand like a molly for wall mounting,if you're familiar with those.People use them on boats all the time.Seen some used on cars,but apparently not too often from the quick search I did.