Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82T heads to Gen3 heads

What's involved in swapping ea82t heads for gen3 heads?

I'm not following what you're asking. Are you asking what is involved with swapping the stock EA82T heads (probably gen 1) on your wagon for gen 3 heads? If so, you need to remove the intake, exhaust, valve covers, cam cases, lifters, rockers, unbolt the heads, load the new heads up with your valves, springs, new seals, install lifters, install rockers, install cam cases, valvecovers, intake and exhaust. All of which is going to have to be done outside the car for easiest workability. Turbo will also have to come off as well.

What gen 3 heads fit?

All Gen 3 heads fit... Gen 3 heads btw, were not put into any production vehicle to my knowledge. Maybe in really late 89s or the 90 Loyales. Can be purchased from Subaru though.

I was head shopping at junkyards trying to find these mythical gen 3 heads. an 89 GL-10 FT4WD Turbo Wagon still had the Gen 2 heads.

Why you swapping the heads anyways? IMO, no reason to do so unless you have cracked heads.

All Gen 3 heads fit... Gen 3 heads btw, were not put into any production vehicle to my knowledge. Maybe in really late 89s or the 90 Loyales. Can be purchased from Subaru though.

I was head shopping at junkyards trying to find these mythical gen 3 heads. an 89 GL-10 FT4WD Turbo Wagon still had the Gen 2 heads.

Why you swapping the heads anyways? IMO, no reason to do so unless you have cracked heads.

gen 3 heads were only installed in at dealer ships no car came with them from the factory thus why they're uber rare

For some reason a push rod came through the valve cover. I bought the car this way. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it to try and make this motor work or wait to find a ej22.

If a rocker shot through the valve cover then there's a high likelyhood that the piston is shattered from hitting the valve. In which case - engine is toast :dead:

And as far as Gen 3 heads, there's nothing different about their fitment, but they are almost impossible to find as they were only availible from the dealer after EA82T production had ceased.

GD

whats different about the gen 3 heads?

since I am being a lazy troll and not searching, may as well troll another question and ask, for that matter, whats the difference between the gen1s and the gen 2s, and what year did they change? a link would suffice, but I have been keeping my eyes peeled for almost a year now trying to figure this out, to no avail..

If a rocker shot through the valve cover then there's a high likelyhood that the piston is shattered from hitting the valve. In which case - engine is toast :dead:

And as far as Gen 3 heads, there's nothing different about their fitment, but they are almost impossible to find as they were only availible from the dealer after EA82T production had ceased.

GD

Why would the piston be damaged from the valve if the EA82 is a non-interference engine? Just wondering... Or have I been mistaken thinking that this whole time?

Why would the piston be damaged from the valve if the EA82 is a non-interference engine? Just wondering... Or have I been mistaken thinking that this whole time?

No, you are right.. BUT..

..the rocker's explosive appearance outside the cylinder head would indicate something mighty afoul with the valvetrain, even with a non interference engine. What cause the rocker to shoot off in that direction? probably inertia from the piston travel. how did that inertia get transferred to the rocker arm? probably a stuck valve. Hence, KABLOOEY!!! :dead:

In other words, yes, they ARE non-interference engines, but that just means that the valves won't get hit if the timing belt breaks. It doesn't mean the valves are immune to the pistons, and it CERTAINLY doesn't imply that there is like, three inches of room between the piston and the valve at all times :-p

Valve gets stuck; rocker arm falls off; rocker is pinched between cam and valve stem; stem breaks off; valve spring and retainer come apart; valve is sucked into cylinder; piston slams valve against head repeatedly resulting in a valve shaped like this: "V" and a shattered piston and destroyed cylinder..... That's usually how it happens.

GD

Daeron...

Basically, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, the Gen3 heads have wider valve spacing in the head, which helps reduce the cracks that appear between the seats. They also have thicker casting in the exhaust port area, where these heads are notorious for cracking and leaking coolant. Generally speaking, they are an overall better casting of the same head.

As far as that whole 'through the rocker cover' exit strategy the lifter took... I cant say I've ever seen or heard of such a thing, but if that's in fact what happened I would have to agree that something had to create that force on the rocker/lifter.. maybe piston?

Keep us posted, love to hear how it tears down...