Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Hyperbolic ER27 Twin Turbo Build

Gravityman

Hi Gravityman , no time ATM but .

By ccing EA82T pistons/chambers/head gasket the CR comes out to be 8.4:1 - if the piston crowns are flush with the cases deck . They must not be if the advertised CR of 7.7:1 is correct . An easy way to get the 8.4 (or a little more) would be to mill the deck faces to get the pistons flush . When you do the cam timing will change so the pulleys need to be modified to correct it . Basicaly slot the three bolt holes and the dowel hole . Dial it up correct and mark it . Weld up the dowel hole in the pulleys and redrill in the correct position . Fixed .

Cheers A .

Those are all cool ideas, my only problem is that I have already put a ton of money into this to go back and change the pistons. I already have new valves in and ex. I would love to find a lighter set but the aftermarket for the XT is very low.. none! I like the Idea of the harley valves but I am not going to be the first to try them. I do plan on getting the backs of the exhaust valves coated as well. As far as the squirters I talked to a friend that talked to his nissan friend and he said that all KA series nissan engines had the squirters. I have not seen this for my own eyes but a junkyard near my house has tons of KA's, that will be the first place I look, cheap and not overpriced!

I am very hesitant to get my block ground any lower then what it is at, I already had it milled flat. I havent been able to find a cam pulley that matches with mine or someone to build me one of high strength billet alu. for a good price. The CR is probably a little closer to about 8.0 now that the surfaces were milled. The thing is running 2 turbos into the engine I am going to see a higher CFM rate quicker then If I were running 1 larger turbo with little bit higher CR. I hope I dont eat those words!:-\ Thanks for all of you insight! Keep it coming! Help me find some head studs for less then $300.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about polishing the top of it to mirror shiny finish? I've always wanted to do that to an EA82T with a Spider intake(so you can actaully see some of the block)

That would be AWSOME!!.....and A LOT of polishing!!!:eek:

The turbos will be polished also. Cool polished Aluminum block fading to a Translucant Black at the valve covers with a Carbon Fiber intake manifold SICK!!!

I need a voting button for this one. It will give me something to do while I am waiting for money to fall from heaven!

Have you ever polished something to a high shine? Very time consuming!:slobber:

You don't need fancy aluminium cam pulley wheels . Like I said slot the three bolt holes (in a milling machine with an indexing head if you want it exact) then move the dowel hole by welding and re drilling . If they've taken anything significant off your cases and heads the cam timing will have moved (retarded) anyway . If you modify the cheap common std pulley thay can stay with that particular engine . You just need someone who can operate a dial indicator and understands four stroke cam timing to dial it all in .

Cheers A .

• 7 months later...

That's really ironic that you ask but at the same time not much of an update.

The irony is I have been thinking about it non-stop today, planning designing and scheming. Plans to the residing vehicle may be changing. First, plans were to modify the 84 Brat for it to allow the ER27 to take place of the EA81. The ER27 I originally had was an extra motor pulled from the junk yard that I was rebuilding. That block turned out to have extensive damage on the sleeves and would need to be resleeved. My second option was to pull the one from my XT6 that I knew ran, which I did pull and had all the machining done to that block. This leaves me with the dilemma of what to do with my XT6 chassis. It does need work to remedy rust spots on the chassis, but not much more then the brat.

I only just started to ponder this route. It will save me from rebuilding the frame to accept the XT6 crossmember and the wider engine. The chassis side of the suspension is far superiour to that of the brat and will allow me to modify the suspension to greater level. There is substantually more room in the XT6 then the cramped brats cockpit with my knees pressed to the dash. The stance of the wheel base is slightly longer and wider, not to mention the aerodynamics .29. The PRO's to the build outway the obstacles that I have to overcome.

I now need to figure where I am going to mount the 2 intercoolers and rework where the turbos are going to sit. I have been playing with the idea of moving the radiator to the rear still, along with the battery to help with weight distribution and cramped spaces. I will be removing the rear seats and possibly adding one rear center mounted (removable) racing seat with a 5 point harness so 2 friends can still ride with me. I have quite a bit of body rust around the fenders which might constitute me building my own fiberglass fenders and body kit, front and rear bumpers.

I am bummed because I had everything planned out for the Brat, I could litterally see that car built in my mind! I guess I plan on doing a rebuild on the brats engine and drop the carb and try to convert it to MPFI. I already have the engine bay stripped. I will clean it up really nice, fix the rust and clean up the suspension. I then plan on selling it when it is up to my standards! This is against my better judgement!!! The military may be giving me orders here in the next few weeks to years and I cant tote around 2 project cars my daily driver and family car espessially since if I do go overseas I am only allowed 1 car :mad: .

I will soon be refocasing my energy into the ER27TT. As said before I have been very busy! I just finished the FULL dismantling of my friends 1992 Volkswagen Corrado engine and rebuilt it from the rings up. He decided that he wanted me to "SLAP A TURBO" on the car durring the build, so I designed the full turbo system for his VR6! I will start a thread shortly to show off the car. Here is a quick peek of the before and after. This should be a good testimate to my abilities as a mechanics and incorperating design into my car build. I did all (no speed shop or mechanics shop) the work minus a few thing that my friend (the owner) helped me with. We are finishing the body kit right now and then I will be finished!

1.jpg?t=1218922611

After

2.jpg?t=1218922639

Anywho, I still have to build an exhaust for my friends 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS. I am working on laying the floor in my kitchen for the remodel, and I am also working on building and improving a "WORTHLESS" hydrogen generator for my automatic 1991 Legacy that used to get 23 MPG highway but now gets 32 MPG off of 3 dinky little plates (testing phase in work). I know that's not a lot based off what it should get for MPG if it were new(22/29) but thats still 3 MPG over stock highway estimates. Oh yea thats at an aveage of 80 MPH.

Ok Sorry about the LONG rant. I hope this brings you up to date on things, wish it could be more monumental, low on money and time.

damn man, you are busy, good luck with the brat.

not trying to get into the HHO debate, but my impreza RS that usually only gets about 23mpg got over 31 mpg a few weeks ago, at an average speed of 80mph on my way from maryland to the outerbanks. my theory about it being that these cars are happier at speed than not.

back on topic now, i cant wait to see how that brat project turns out. its going to be awsome. we will have to meet up sometime once i get my brat done. might be about as soon as you get your brat finished.

Yea I really wish the time was spent working on the Brat or ER27. I had a good time with my friend building the turbo corrado, I think it looks freaking sweet! We did a lot of custom stuff to it. I had to build about 20 custom tool to get the project done!!! I think VW hires really smart engineers to build their cars as UNUSER FRIENDLY as possible to repair!!!

I have two more projects to finish which should be done by the middle of September. Once done I will start on the brat FINALLY!!!

Subyrally...If I don't get rid of the brat too soon after it's finished then we can meet up and check out rides!