Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1993 Subaru Legacy Wagon, 2WD, 2.2 Liter, approximately 176,000 miles

All the front oil seals (crank-cams-valve covers-oil pump-oil pan ultra grey) have been replaced within the last month and are dry. This has dramatically reduced the amount of oil on the garage floor.

Now that I've eliminated that side of the engine as oil leaks, another has been found. The oil leak appears to come from the rear of the engine and is definately motor oil (not differential oil). It leaks down from the rear of the engine, onto the lower subframe and the rear differential and then onto the ground. I eliminated the differential by degreasing the entire area, servicing the differential, and it was dry for a few days before the leak propigates from the rear of the engine to the ground via the above route. Also, the "sniff test" verifies that the oil leak is not gear oil.

Anyway, what seal is the suspect? And while I am there what other suspects are there that should be attacked?

Thanks in advance!

i'm not really familiar with the older EJ22's like you have, but the newer ones have a rear cam seal/o-ring. if yours has this, then it could be the culprit.

the next possibility is the rear main seal.

what do you mean by "rear of the engine"? can you not tell if it's coming from between the engine/transmission or if it's coming from one side, like passengers side or drivers side.?

what do you mean by "rear of the engine"? can you not tell if it's coming from between the engine/transmission or if it's coming from one side, like passengers side or drivers side.?

I meant "rear of the engine" to be the area between the engine and transmission. Sorry if I was confusing. You bring up a valid point, I'll make sure to check the driver's & passengers side to make sure the rear cam seals aren't leaking as well.