Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-81, the way it should be

new_intake.sized.jpg

new_intake_2.sized.jpg

new_intake_3.sized.jpg

Ok ok ok, I'll tell you what I did.

So what your looking at is a holley carburetor (something very like a weber 32/36, but with less stuff, and no choke) mounted on an EA-82 spfi intake manifold that has been severely modefied.

What I did was basically cut off half the mounting flange, and the water jacket in front, and do a LOT of tig welding and grinding. Like 14 hours worth... then I took a mill to it and surfaced it... drilled and tapped the holes, and voila!!!

I also closed up the water bypass hose next to the thermostat, and bought a brass fitting and moved it to the front of the housing, so it could clear the advance on the distributor.

Now after all this, I still managed to keep the PCV system, Evap System, and EGR system still fuctional. (I figure I should at least PRETEND to try and not be a gross polluter, stupid california smog..)

For the throttle linkage, if you look, is actually off of the old carburetor, I just had to invert everything. -drilled out the spot welds for the wire guide, and flipped it over to the other side, then bent the other things around, and cut off the spring attachment, cause it was in the way...

And there you have it people!!! when I stuff it and wind it up to 5500, it sounds like a friggin race car, and it hauls arse too (for an Ea81 at least) :headbang:

I havent gotten around to the A/C stuff yet, I am gonna take it into a teachers auto shop and he will drain the R-12 and store it for me at no cost.

The clearance is so close I actually had to grind the top off the wingnut cause it was scratching the paint on the hood.

BTW, also I used the EA82 manifold because its larger diameter than the EA81, which in my mind equals less flow restriction.:headbang:

Hey brian, this is Mike my man... remember I moved down here? :cool:

If ya dont remember my subi was that blue 84 wagon, with the pugs and the nicely cutout fenders? Dood IM me sometime when you wanna come down to do some 4wheelin at oceano dunes, you can crash at my place, if you dont mind my other obnoxious college roomates.

Mr. Carb, as far as the differences between a weber and a holley, I actually used a Wber 32/36 rebuild kit for it, its not much any different.

In case the internal email system does'nt work, I'd be interested in knowing more about your tig welder. Make, price, amp range. Satisfied? Strenght and weaknesses (if any)?

Also what kind of milling machine you used.

Thanks in advance.

Despite the time it took you to TIG and mill it, I bet it was still hella easier than my method of machining an adapter on a drill press with a cheezy cross-slide vise. Way to go on doing it the RIGHT WAY! My adapter method also would not have worked on your un-lifted car since my carb sits 2-3" above the intake. I guess it's good for deep water and maybe for extra plenum height and torque. But yours looks almost "stock" and hopefully the emmisions nazis won't even notice how cool it is. Mine however, well I gotta deal with emmissions test again in about 10 months...sure hope they don't ask me to open the hood.

Any pics of the intake without the carb mounted?

If this was a school project, tell the teach you deserve an "A"!

frag, wasnt my welder, in the welding shop at school, they have like, big, BIG welders, the powersupply kinds that can do stick, mig, tig, and carbon-arc gouging, and they have up to 18 of these operating at time, its crazy! The mill just happened to also be in the weld shop, all I can say is that its really big and precise

Mike W, my first idea was the adaptor plate, but when I saw how small the opening was for the original hitachi, compared to the holley, I wouldent be able to live with myself putting a restriction on like that Sorry no pics right now of the carb off, because I dont want to risk getting an air leak when I put it back together (the rear bolt holes go into the manifold, so to seal them I wrapped the threads in teflon tape)

It wasnt really a school project, more like something I was working on at school, because I had to get my car running to drive home for thanksgiving and such tomorrow. (cutting the deadline close) From start to finish the project only took me about 10 days.

Thanks for the relply Renaissance Man.

Wish i had access to a place like yours. Lincoln makes a «portable» tig welder I'd like to get my hands on if I could find a used one. Very expensive. But it can weld as low as 9 amps.

Do you hear me Santa?

:santa: