Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Old Faithful the '78 wagon SMOKES rich people every winter LOL

Use it,don't just worship it!

My '78 has been a savior year after year.Today was no exception.

Winter storm dumped a greasy load of sleet over frozen rain and about a half inch of fluff.Made for a super greasy snow.Not slush,not snow,something entirely unusual and NOT good.2nd storm like this in the past season.

Love the looks the wealthy folks give me when I cruise by them and their expensive plastic pieces of crap designed by ninnies,for ninnies.

Some folks show a great appreciation,like the guy with the new Subaru turbo wagon at the gas station last night.I filled up before the storm,and asked the gentleman what he thought of his new T'wagon.He started saying it was great but he has to pull in for gas every "nine miles".At the very end of his exageration he finally notices what I'm actually talking to him from."WOW that's a CLASSIC!!!",he exclaims.Got talking for a few more seconds,but the rain shortened any continued conversation.Watching his face light up was my delight.Naturally,he wished me luck with it.

This car gets much more attention these past couple of years than it did the years previous.But,come bad weather,I now notice as many negative glances,and sour pusses,as it passes cars people realize they didn't have to go buy.:lol:

Power to the Vintage Subaru!!!!!!!!!!:headbang:

Hey Paul This is Jerry, now that spring is here where i live i have my cragars back on my hatch wow you said it the looks people give me. You can read there faces that little car makes that kind of sound. I have had people talk to me and ask if it has a V8 in it. yes it has and it was a *************** to get it in there then i open up the hood and say it's all about gas mileage and smile. Thanks Jerry

Right on,Jerry!!!

Looking at your photos makes me think about living inland.....for a minute or two.You sure have a nice place to romp around.So,that's what my hero looks like!Nice couple of Subazuki shots there.And that HatchBrat...er uh Bratch...or whatever you call it,just too dang cool.Wish i has something like that to stuff in snobby people's faces around here.Would love to pull up next to a Hummer or Navigator,etc. with that puppy.

w00t! It's a rare thing to see a newer Subaru owner acknowledge, and appreciate no less, an older Subaru.

+1 ...I either get "WOW I havent seen one of those in years" "I Have Never seen one of those before" or my personal favorite " I can't believe the thing still runs...those were Subarus biggest mistake..you couldnt give me one" all on the XT6..And my Loyale just gets laughs and giggles . These snotty New Englanders...but it sure is funny watching them spin off the road in thier Escalades and BMW Shoes ( whever they are..but they look like a shoe) while the very few of us old Subaru owners just keep truckin without many/if any problems

My '86 handles 100x better in the slop than the Baja. It stays home while the BRAT gets the glory.

Once I can wiggle out of the pack onto the unplowed side roads, I can sail right along while the masses slip and slide all over the gradual up-grades that they iced up with their big as- umm, awkward SUV's spinning tires on the main roads. They don't know how to drive, and try to gun it, making things a whole lot worse... Ugh!

Mary, I can tell you what is wrong with your baja...the damn tires...trust me I almost found out the hard way this past weekend. :mad:

I have always hated these girly tires. For crying out loud, "Potenza" sounds more like a pasta dish or a male enhancement drug than a tire!

Those blasted ABS brakes keep it home. Now, if you drive into a plow berm and get them packed with snow, they shut off :) It's short-lived, they shed the snow when you really get moving again :( Still, it's a good trick on unplowed side roads where you travel slower.

It's really amusing when people give you those looks of disbelief when you go cruising past them in a blizzard with no problems isn't it? I just smile and wave:headbang: And speaking of astonished looks from people..the 19 year old kid my boyfriend works with had never even heard of, let alone seen a BRAT before. He said it looked like a "baby El Camino". Ahhh, aint that cute???

..the 19 year old kid my boyfriend works with had never even heard of, let alone seen a BRAT before.

When I went to rent a trailer to haul my BRAT, I had to spell B-R-A-T to the teen-something clerk. She didn't comprehend and asked for a description, and as a joke, I started with the Bi-drive, All-Terrain... she typed and said, "it won't fit". So I said, "Little truck." That worked :)