Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'96 Outback EJ22

Noticed my steering has felt stiff the past two weeks or so. And now I get a slight vibration when initially turning to the left of right.

Fluid level in the pump checks out fine.

Searching shows most people's problems with steering pumps have to do with squeals related to bad bearings. But has any one had similar issue like mine?

Sounds like the rack might be getting tired. Does it seem worse right after startup or when cool?

I don't notice any difference. Seems to be there from start to finish.

I'll give the fluid flush a try since that is the cheapest option aside from ignoring it. If no work there I'll research a rebuild.

ild say its the pump. A rack goes bad by being stiff in the morning untill the pump and fluid warms up....

dang there is a dirty joke in there some place.

Besides a pump is easier and cheaper then a rack to give a go at first.

nipper

ild say its the pump. A rack goes bad by being stiff in the morning untill the pump and fluid warms up....

dang there is a dirty joke in there some place.

Besides a pump is easier and cheaper then a rack to give a go at first.

nipper

We won't go there. But I agree on the mechanical aspect of that comment...

• 1 year later...

I thought about going that way with a rebuild. So, I got the kit and then I thougth....ya know its prolly easier to just get another pump from the salvage yard and slap it in, which i did and it was like 50 bucks. Put it in last weekend. Plus those pumps on the inside are really interesting. You need to have your stuff clean and lined out for a rebuild. Just my 2cents worth.

I thought about going that way with a rebuild. So, I got the kit and then I thougth....ya know its prolly easier to just get another pump from the salvage yard and slap it in, which i did and it was like 50 bucks. Put it in last weekend. Plus those pumps on the inside are really interesting. You need to have your stuff clean and lined out for a rebuild. Just my 2cents worth.

So, did the yard pump solve your problem??

well yes and no. the yard pump didn't have the same back plate as my oem pump which had the back mounting bracket holes. So, I switched them out and put a new seal on the sy pump. That seemed to work. Although after thinking about it I don't know for sure that the back support bracket is really necessary. Yes It worked for what I wanted, which was to stop the leaking. Just make sure to bleed the system good after all is hooked up.

Oh, and last fall cobcob and I put a new rack in my car also. Rack was about 175.00 from a salvage yard. I was told from the soob dealership that it was worn out really bad and they wouldn't even pass it in an inspection. So, Basically I have replaced the whole system minus the lines. The only difference between the newer rack and the bad one that I noticed was ease of turning. before I could feel some weird resistance when turning and now its a breeze, one finger wheel turning.

Edited by 952.2LX
more info