Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hi everyone, i just "almost" purchased a 2000 legacy gt limited, and i was wondering what the typical issues that one has to look out for. the car has 95,xxx miles on it, and as of right now, im not too sure of the maintenance history. ive glanced through the forums to see if i could spot some recurring issues, seems like the timing belt can be a problem? a few pointers would be awesome :grin:

im actually an 18 year old college student tho, i previoulsy owned a 94 mercedes e320 that i had a great run with, but due to some stupid problems coming up, plus the pricey repairs, im selling it. lol actually might sell the benz and buy the subi on the same day haha. but anyway, i hung around a benz forum and picked up alot of tips and tricks, so i figure first thing i should do is find a subaru one! so here i am :cool:

thanks for the help!

2000 Legacy GT Ltd. should have the Phase 2 2.5L.

http://www.cars101.com/legacy2000.html

T-belt interval on the Phase 2, IIRC, is 105K. So you're due for it in about 10K if it hasn't been done already. Engine is interference so neglecting it can be disastrous if the belt fails. If you have to do it, there are a bunch of other things that should be addressed while you have the covers and belt off. (search for t-belt on forums)

Other issues that pop up often are torque bind (is this an auto or manual?), and head gasket leakage. These have been talked about to death here, so again, I'd do a search since they've been explained far better than I could in a single post.

Also check out the sticky FAQ if you haven't done so already.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51554

Here's an advance answer to an upcoming question...

My parking lights will not turn off... possibly after a detailing, etc...

Check on top of your steering wheel column, that switch up there will illuminate the parking lights while there are no keys in the car.

Good luck with it...

Here's an advance answer to an upcoming question...

My parking lights will not turn off... possibly after a detailing, etc...

Check on top of your steering wheel column, that switch up there will illuminate the parking lights while there are no keys in the car.

Good luck with it...

Hey! No Fair, he has to learn like the rest. Experience is a wonderful thing.:rolleyes:

slavver01 you came to the right place for info!

• 2 weeks later...