Ultimate Subaru Message Board

auto shifer sticky

Sticky is really an understatement. The shifter in my 84 brat is very hard to move I cant get it back into park. I took the cover off of the shifter and everything looked to be connected. I had seen a thread talking about a trans modulator valve but I assume that if it were bad that the trans would bang into gear as apposed to being hard to move the shifter. Need a manual hate the auto. Any help would be appreciated. :banghead:

i have an 83 brat that does the same thing, goes down into reverse and drive easy but is very tight and hard to get it back into park, but it will move back into park with some elbow grease, havent had time to look at it today, cause i had another car blow head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, and a waterpump all in one shot, oh but it didnt over heat, i swear it never hit the red mark i was told. so i had my hands full today. damn chevy

when i do get into it and find out what it was, i will let you know asap.

Hey 78 Turbo Brat sounds like youve had a worse weekend than I did. Friday night delivering pizza get a flat put the donut on and have to get my jeep to finish the night out . Saturday delivering pizza one of the mounting bolts for the passenger side break caliper falls out park the Brat at work have the old lady bring me the jeep. This morning go to try and figure out what happened Saturday night. Figure it out get a new bolt only to find the threads are stripped out on the bracket. As far as the shifter goes it just started doing this since it has gotten cold the past 3 days. Im gonna park it inside our heated shop at work tomorrow and see if it helps at all.

Well I got my brakes fixed and after a liberal dose of WD-40 on the shifter linkage my Brat shifts like new. Looking under the Brat around the linkage everything looked tip top, plus I didnt see any sign of leakage from the autocrap trans. I know everyone will sleep better tonight knowing I can once again put my trans in park.Happy Thanksgiving to all in USMB land.