Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How difficult is it to replace a wheel lug stud?

Every time I have done one of these, I have removed the wheel, then caliper, then the hub..... and pounded the old stud out on the workbench.

A mapp gas torch works well to heat the hub all around the stud, and then bang 'er out. (if its nice and hot they come out easy!)

Your local NAPA should have a new wheel stud in stock, and you might want to change the matching lug NUT too if thats stripped.

Shouldnt take you too long if you have ever had a subaru hub off before. IF you havent......and dont have a torque wrench for the axle nut and/or a service manual for the car, you may want to enlist some help.

i have replaced about 7 of my lug stud on my impreza (stupid impact....)

anyway i pulled the rotor off, and the hub cover. then i loosened up the wheel speed sensor, and i was able to pound out the lug studs w/ teh hub still on teh car. had to be careful not to break the wheel speed sensor, but it worked fine. after some finangling i got the old stud to drop out from behind the plate they are pressed into. put the new one in, used a lug nut w/ a ton of washers to tq it back in. works perfectly.

Unless some of these Subaru's are different then mine, then you would have to press the hub out of the spindle. This would do more damage to the bearing then punching the stud out with a punch and hammer. If you removed the spindle then you would still be hammering the stud out with the bearing in place. However mine is a 97 year model and I dont know how some of the hubs are on some of these other models, so they may seperate from the spindle more easy.

Hm that's an interesting idea. Say, once the wheel is jacked up and axle nut removed and hub carrier bolts removed, does the hub pretty much just pull right off or does it require some coaxing?